Read what people think about An Eagle Named Freedom by Jeff Guidry, and write your own review.

My True Story of a Remarkable Friendship

By Jeff Guidry

• Published in USA  May 2010,

There are currently 21 reader reviews for An Eagle Named Freedom

Julia A. (New York, NY) (05/23/10)

An Eagle named Freedom
"An Eagle named Freedom" is a book that will make the reader laugh, cry, get angry, feel inspired, and be filled with amazement. This book came about almost by accident; it began as an 800-word e-mail to a friend of the author—an e-mail that was forwarded around the world and generated so much interest that the book just had to happen. Knowing its origin, I came to the book with very little in the way of expectations; maybe I was skeptically hoping it wouldn’t be another Jonathan Livingston Seagull. After all, one of those is enough for a lifetime. I was pleasantly surprised to find myself becoming involved with the human and animal (as Guidry calls them, the “wild ones”) almost immediately. The uncommon courage of both the caregivers at Sarvey Wildlife Care Center and their wild ones is awe-inspiring. It’s a tribute to the eagle of the title that the author never gets sappily sentimental, even when describing his successful fight against cancer, aided by Freedom, or the ultimately unsuccessful cancer battle of Kaye, the driving force behind Sarvey. The writing style is straightforward and direct. While not strictly chronological, the narrative has enough order to keep the reader engrossed and involved all the way through. In short, the book is a little gem.
Cheryl K. (East Aurora, New York) (05/22/10)

Freedom
This book was wonderful on many levels. Not only does Jeff Guidry form a lasting friendship and bond with a beautiful eagle named Freedom, but he also shows the reader the importance of lessons to be learned and shared with all creatures on earth. The Sarvey shelter exemplifies all that is decent and compassionate in humans who care for these wounded wildlife. I would recommend this book to anyone in need of an uplifting experience.
Linda W. (Riverview, Florida) (05/19/10)

Something special here
This is a book from the heart, both from the author and all the creatures with which he built connections. Freedom not only describes the beautiful eagle he rescued but the name Freedom define the unconditional love between Jeff Guidry and Freedom. A truly inspirational book.
Jenna B. (Fairfield, CA) (05/18/10)

Great Read
When I first received this book I wasn't sure it would be my cup of tea, but I gave it a try and lo and behold had the whole thing read in one afternoon. This is an incredible story of animals and how they impact humans. I know am looking in to volunteering at my local animal shelter because of this book. I think that anyone who is an animal lover and has the faith that animals can reflect on human behavior then this is the book for you. I am recommending it to everyone that I know. I will forever look at animals differently now because of this fantastic book.
Sherrill B. (Columbia City, In.) (05/16/10)

An Eagle Named Freedom
This is an inspiring true story about hope, love,trust.and life. A spiritual connection between a human and an eagle named Freedom The human was there for the eagle when she was brought to the wildlife sanctuary where the author volunteered. He was her caretaker and healer.When he was in pain from cancer hiss thoughts were of Freedom and that he must not give up but have the courage to fight and live and be together with his spiritual connection the eagle named Freedom.
Joan B. (Ellicott City, MD) (05/15/10)

AN EAGLE NAMED FREEDOM
In this day, many families are far too close to battles with cancer. Jeff had more than his fair share of contact with this debilitating disease. For me, the pain of dealing with illness over rode the pleasure of helping rehabilitate wild animals.

That being said, the anecdotes of rehabilitating injured wildlife were interesting. I was interested in Sarvey Wildlife Center and its mission. The book pulled me in two different directions and made my read limp along rather that soar like an eagle.
Susan S. (Lakeville, MA) (05/15/10)

Animals lovers will enjoy this book
I am a sucker for any book about animals -- especially books about rescuing and rehabilitating sick and injured wildlife. The author explores the spiritual connection between humans and animals through his own experiences at a wildlife rescue sanctuary. I enjoyed the book a great deal -- although it was a bit too sappy at times for my taste. Sometimes I missed the point of a story that the author was trying to make because the writing is not as polished as it could be. But the work that Jeff and his colleagues do is to be greatly admired, and animal lovers like me will find this book a cozy read. I finished it in two nights,
Jerry P. (Santa Rosa, CA) (05/13/10)

An Eagle Named Freedom
I admit I am biased about this book since I am a volunteer board member of a wildlife center having a similar mission as the wildlife center named in the book.

What an inspirational story! I found An Eagle Named Freedom to be a love story between a man and a bald eagle. It is clearly written and about 200 pages. I doubt if I will ever forget Jeff Guidry's metaphor, "...cold ball of fear in my belly..." when he was diagnosed as having stage 3 non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. I was touched about many of the episodes in the book such as the first time Freedom, a mature eagle, embraced him with both wings when Guidry was undergoing the agonies of chemotherapy.

• Book Jacket: Hyde
    by Carol Cassella

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zevin

Published Apr. 2014

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor.

P Your O C