Read what people think about Shoot the Lawyer Twice by Michael Bowen, and write your own review.

A Rep and Melissa Pennyworth Mystery

By Michael Bowen

• Published in USA  Oct 2008,

There are currently 11 reader reviews for Shoot the Lawyer Twice

Miriam (09/02/08)

Shoot the Lawyer, please
If I had known that this was the fourth book in a mystery series, I would never have read it. As a fan of mysteries, and even mystery series, I found the plot much too convoluted and requiring far too many "look backs" to previous sections to keep characters and events in mind. The only reason I didn't give it a lower rating is that I was determined to finish it to see how it was resolved.
Molly (08/24/08)

Shoot me Once!
At the end of the day, self interest drives the plot. But to get to this revelation, there are convoluted and abstract conversations - almost too mind numbing to follow. I have adopted the Nancy Pearl 50 page rule - if not for this review I would have put it down after 50 pages. And probably not come back.
Kathy (08/23/08)

Shoot the Lawyer Twice
I had to start this book twice, I felt there were too many plots and characters all at once, and found it very confusing to keep track of who belonged to what group, and what plot that was going on. It never developed one plot to an understandable point, before going on to the next. Even after starting and reading the second time I felt it was too much work to keep track of everyone and everything.
Jeff (08/20/08)

Shoot The LawyerTwice
I really had a hard time getting through "Shoot The Lawyer Twice". The plot was not particularly interesting and the primary characters are not very likable. After a while, the "witty" banter between the lawyers and/or the professors got very tiresome. It is not often that I can't wait to be done with a book, but, unfortunately, that was the case here. Probably the most interesting aspect was the origin of the book's title (an old lawyer joke). For husband/wife legal mysteries where the characters are entertaining and the plots good, try the Paul Levine "Solomon and Lord" paperback series.
Kathleen (08/18/08)

Why So Intricate?
This book is well-written, and I suppose if I re-read it, everything would be connected up and I would appreciate the author's ingenuity and inventiveness. However, I would rather not work that hard. There are way too many characters and blind alleys such that, by the end of the book, I found it difficult to care about any character or his or her motivation.
Tricia (08/15/08)

Shoot the Lawyer Twice Provides Whimsy, But I Got Lost
Headless dialogue ruins a conversation for me every time, especially because I have no idea who's saying what. This book was clever - I love whodunits, but I had a hard time continuing.
William (08/14/08)

Shoot the Lawyer Twice
A book for those who want to plow through seemingly endless dialogue among people who fancy themselves extremely quick-witted and intellectually superior. Lawyers and professors make up the cast of this shallow exercise in the bon mot, or as one puts it, the "bon mediocre." Not much happens, and since much information is withheld, the reader must wait until the characters choose to reveal it and thereby demonstrate their insights and cleverness. Only for those desperate for something to read.
Lois (08/08/08)

Shoot the Lawyer Twice?
How about shooting authors of what I consider to be poorly written and confusing books? This was the first book in years I almost quit reading in the first 50 or so pages. I couldn't understand what was going on, who was doing what to whom, or the bad guys from the good girls or vice versa.

I would not suggest reading this book to anyone unless they are very bored and desperate for something to read.

• Book Jacket: The Pope and Mussolini
    The Pope and Mussolini
    by David I. Kertzer
    The Pope and Mussolini is a riveting account of the parallel rise to power of the authoritarian ...
  • Book Jacket: The Promise