Read what people think about The Language of Secrets by Dianne Dixon, and write your own review.

By Dianne Dixon

There are currently 17 reader reviews for The Language of Secrets

Ann D. (Clermont, GA) (03/03/10)

The Language of Secrets
This book about family and memory and the way secrets interplay with both was a powerful story about childhood and the lasting effects it has on our adult lives. Justin Fisher is finally able to triumph over his childhood scars and become the husband and father he wants to be.
Linda K. (Belvidere, IL) (02/17/10)

Captivating!
Sir Walter Scott probably said it best, “O, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive!”. No one wants to hurt the ones they love, but sometimes in our effort to protect those loved ones it seems necessary to engage in little white lies, or lies of omission, so as not to hurt their feelings or upset them. Justin Fisher learns just how damaging these “protective measures” can be when he returns to his childhood home after a few decades, to find that his parents are dead and buried and apparently, so is he! The gravestone beside those of his parents says Justin Fisher, beloved son, died at the age of three. What was to be a brief visit after a very long absence, turns into the realization that everything known and everything believed that formed the foundation of his life, has crumbled around him. Can Justin rebuild? Will his loved ones and those he never knew support him while he rebuilds his world?

Dianne Dixon writes a most intriguing story that will surely keep you flipping pages perhaps late into the night, while asking yourself if you’re really certain you and the people around you are really who you believe.
Joanne G. (Kennesaw, GA) (02/16/10)

A Very Good Read
I think The Language of Secrets rates five stars because it was a very good read which was hard to put down. The author skillfully weaves an intricate plot with alternating chapters told by well-defined characters over a period of time. The intriguing results of decisions made by these all too human people accompanied by unexpected twists of fate provide much for book group discussion.
Gail I. (02/14/10)

The Language of Secrets
I found this book to be a real page turner that kept me interested to the end. The author, a screenwriter, knows how to write a story which keeps the reader wanting for more information to solve the puzzle.

The style is easy to read and chapters are named for the character, place, and date of the event. It flashes back and forth between the present and past events which helps the reader t understand some of what has happened, although it has a surprise twist at the end.

It's relatively light reading and would be a good book to take on a trip. I can see a movie version in the future. It did remind me of Jodi Picoult's novels.
Brenda S. (Grand Rapids, MN) (02/09/10)

Interesting Read
This was one of the first books I could have read in one sitting if possible. The story itself was compelling; however, the writing sometimes threw a loop in the read. It was like reading the diary of a bipolar person. Although I enjoyed the book, I would have a difficult time recommending this to my book club.
Cynthia D. (Thousand Oaks, CA) (02/09/10)

The Language of Secrets by Dianne Dixon
A short book which was a very quick read. Authored by a screenwriter, so the prose is not at all complex, and I have to wonder if she isn't hoping for a movie deal after its release.

Excellent title which fits the book well. Suggested price of $24 is too high and book should not be released in hardback, as the story does not merit that. Trade paper would suit it quite well. The back cover depicts it as ". . .examines the lifelong repercussions of a father's betrayal." However, the book is not only about a father's betrayal, but also about a mother's betrayal of her own marriage vows, followed by her husband's tragic inability to cope with the consequences of her infidelity.

While there is nothing profound in the storyline, it is suitable for contemporary fiction book discussion groups and will lend itself to plenty of discussion, including the dysfunctional familial relationships. The story indeed is heartbreaking, with one tragic revelation unfolding upon another. . .so many that it seems, at times, quite unbelievable.

There is also a surprise revealed on the very last page of the book, a mistake, I believe, as some readers may see where the book is headed, perhaps tire of the last 20 pages or so and decide to check the very end to see if anything new is revealed. It is. . .and what a surprise, at least it was to me! That itself will make for a fascinating discussion regarding foreshadowing, etc.

I recommend the book as light reading on a heavy theme, but nothing memorable. Many book clubs who prefer lighter reading will snap it up!
Sandie F. (Eaton, OH) (02/09/10)

The Language of Secrets
One of those books that has you from page one. Lots of twist and turns that keeps you wanting to read more. Loved the ending, not at all what I expected. Really enjoyed this book and hope to see more by this author.
Katherine S. (seaford, VA) (02/06/10)

The Language of Loss
If you want a well written, depressing story, jump in. There is no hero, no redemption...only mistakes, loss and damage. The ending is supposed to offer hope, but after a life of abandonment (for Justin), smothering (for Amy), sadness & anger for Justin's family...there is no safe ground. Very frustrating to read the sad life of an innocent, little boy...and the equally sad life of all around him.

• Book Jacket: The Goldfinch
    The Goldfinch
    by Donna Tartt
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction.

Her canvas is vast. To frame a story about art, love and ...
  • Book Jacket: Toms River
    Toms River
    by Dan Fagin
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for Nonfiction

In Toms River, investigative journalist Dan Fagin ...
  • Book Jacket: The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
    The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
    by Gabrielle Zevin
    I feel like Gabrielle Zevin wrote this wonderful book, about a lonely New England bookstore owner ...

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zevin

Published Apr. 2014

1.  170The Weight of Blood:
    Laura McHugh
  2.  254Cartwheel:
    Jennifer duBois

He has only half learned the art of reading who has not added to it the more refined art of skipping and skimming.

P Your O C