Reader reviews and comments on Icy Sparks, plus links to write your own review.

By Gwyn Hyman Rubio

• Hardcover: Mar 2001,
    Paperback: Apr 2001,

There are currently 17 reader reviews for Icy Sparks

mmmart (04/23/11)

Boring
This book was boring. It never really got good, it also took me a long time to read it since it was so boring.
msommer (06/07/08)

I kept waiting for it to pick up
Pretty boring. I like to read Oprah's Book Club books but this one did not do much for me. I kept waiting for it to get good. The middle section at the hospital was interesting and that was it. For the most part I was disappointed.
LaVelle Brown (03/13/08)

Icy Sparks
Great story that was seriously flawed by religion and the premise that God can cure or fix everything. Sections one and two are a pleasant read. Section 3 is driven by a word for word delivery of a fundamentalist Christian revival, It was offensive and did not add to the story. In the end, I found Icy Sparks to be a disappointment.
Sarah (11/04/06)

Disappointing End to a Universal Tale
The story of Icy Sparks is a gripping tale of a young girl as she copes with undiagnosed Tourettes syndrome. Icy is an inspirational character; her journey raises valid questions of acceptance and superficial judgement. From a stylistic point of view, the novel has a relatively fast paced and strong prose, using dialogue and description very effectively. The end of this book leaves the reader with little sense of finality, posing a simplistic remedy to Icy's disorder. It is unfortunate that such a strong and universally true narrative withers to such a weak and seemingly hasty end.
Jenna (01/22/05)

This book started strong and I truly enjoyed it but by the end of the book it seemed that it didn't know which genre it should be - a romance, a religious novel, etc? I don't recommend reading this book.
Phil (12/01/04)

Excellent - moving, endearing and will resonate after reading.
S.M.M (10/11/04)

Icy Sparks is not a book I probably would have picked up and read if it hadn't been assigned by a book club I belong to. Overall it was an enjoyable read. I felt the author did a good job of conveying the thoughts and emotions of a young girl who is "different." I notice someone else reviewing on this page liked the beginning and end, but not the middle - I found that intriging, because I enjoyed the beginning and middle but disliked the ending!!! Several members of our book club wondered if the ending had been written by a different author - Icy's character and habits seem to change so abruptly!! I thought the ending was flat.
Liz (02/09/04)

Icy Sparks is one of the best books I've ever read. I REALLY enjoyed it. I couldn't put it down. I had to read it for a class and I'm glad I did!

• Book Jacket: Take This Man
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...

The Arsonist