Reader reviews and comments on A Painted House, plus links to write your own review.

By John Grisham

• Hardcover: Feb 2000,
    Paperback: Dec 2001,

There are currently 102 reader reviews for A Painted House

Nessie (09/26/10)

Racial Book
I did not like this book at all. The get so racial for "The Mexicans" instead the author could have said the people from out of the country instead of saying Mexicans also I think that Ricky should have came out in the book like he returned home...
Judy Adkins (04/25/10)

The Painted House
Just discovered author John Grisham . In reading most books, I always reach some parts of "boredom"and skip so many pages.

With "The Painted house",found myself totally engrossed !! Love the serious, the funny, down-to-earth of it all. My imagination sees it all as I read. Best book I have read in years !

Judy
Mike (03/09/09)

Where's Ricky
I usually read Stephen King, Dean Koontz and John Saul, however, my wife picked this book up at a tag sale and I decided after reading the jacket to give it try. I was truly impressed with this book. It was a terrific story seen through the eyes of a seven year old. However, I am deeply disappointed in not knowing if Ricky came home or died in the war, did the Latchers stay on the farm the next season and help pick cotton. I will probably not read another Grisham book, however, if he writes a sequel to this one, I will surely read it.
Jacqui Paulson (10/06/07)

Not what I expected
I recently read this book and I have to say it was not what I expected. I had this image of John Grisham in my head and this book blew it away. This moving story was not what I expected to come from the pen of the man that I saw as a best-selling novelist.

It is not the kind of story that will inspire you to rave about it but it is a story that you will never forget. It gives a great insight into the life of cotton farmers in Arakansas and for the history lovers amongst us, there is enough of the sense of reality to fulfill that desire of "I wonder what it was like to live then or there?".

Written from the perspective of the child, Mr Grisham certainly has the ability to get inside the mind of a young boy whilst maintaining a writing style that is captivating and intriguing. An interesting book and well worth taking the time to read.
Jonathan (06/16/07)

A Painted House
At this present moment, there are 97 reviews for "A Painted House" by John Grisham. If you have read all 97 reviews, like I just did, then basically what I have to say will be the same.

I am not an avid reader on a day to day basis. But,during the summer, I have some extra time and try to read a book or two. I went to the book store to ask for a recommendation. The sales clerk said that "A Painted House" was a must read.

I found this book to be an easy read----something that I was hoping would be since I don't have a "true love of reading". The chapters were short enought to not bore me and interesting enough for me to see "what happens next".

However, I was a little bit disappointed that Mr. Grisham left me as a reader to just accept the outcome of the Spruill family and the Mexicans----regarding Hank and Cowboy. I thought he could have least made it a little bit more suspenseful. I also didn't like that the character of Stick Powers, to me, just kind of came and went---like the wind. As a reader, I was hoping that Stick would have pursued the whereabouts of Hank.

Like the other readers have said, I also want to know what happened to Ricky and Libby?

If Mr. Grisham does write a sequel, I sure hope I am informed.
Ashley H. (02/23/07)

A Painted House
John Grisham's novel A Painted House is very unlike any of his other works and in that sense makes it a unique and interesting book.
This book is narrated by seven year old Luke Chandler. Luke lives on a cotton farm and during cotton picking months his family hires Mexicans and "hill people" to assist with the cotton picking. Within this entire group are a couple dangerous men and a beautiful girl, a killing is committed and rumors begin. Throughout these months Luke is forced to keep several secrets that could forever change the life of his family. Excerpts from book: "The hill people and the Mexicans arrived on the same day." "The fight should've been over, but Hank had other plans. With delight and deliberation, he kicked each of them in their faces and heads until they stopped moving and groaning."
While reading A Painted House I was simply enthralled. It was an incredible read and I could not put it down. I have not been a fan of John Grisham novels, but A Painted House has somewhat changed my view on his writing. This book is not however a book for those of immaturity. A Painted House is a book that is meant for a mature audience that can appreciate the topic. I would recommend this book to any person that is in high school and has an open mind. I think that in writing this book Grisham was trying to say that he can write other gripping novels that don't revolve around lawyers and such, and with A Painted House he most definitely achieved that goal. This was an excellent book and I hope all that read it will enjoy it as much as I did.
Purple (11/19/06)

HIS WORST WORK YET!
I thought this was the WORST book that he wrote. Unfortunately it was my first John Grisham book and luckily I was not turned off by it. He is a good author, but I thought this was really poor work.
shenae (01/22/05)

this book is the best............... i just can't put it down

• Book Jacket: The Promise