Reader reviews and comments on The Last Precinct, plus links to write your own review.

The Last Precinct

By Patricia Cornwell

The Last Precinct

• Hardcover: Oct 2000,
    Paperback: Jul 2001,

There are currently 18 reader reviews for The Last Precinct

auntbee (06/12/06)

The Big Whine
I've really enjoyed the Scarpetta series, mostly for the interesting characters and the amount of education I get from them. Black Notice was riveting, but seemed to begin a decline in the strength of the characters and a fascination with the morbid--less educational than simply sensational and depressing. Last Precinct does seem to be its sequel in that respect. The character of the characters just keeps spiraling downward, becoming more and more self-absorbed and less interesting--so far.

I have to admit that I have only reached the point in the story where it is becoming apparent that Kay is a suspected of murder, but it has been a painful slog thus far. In short, I am extremely tired of listening to Scarpetta whine.

I have checked the internet reviews to see whether this book is even worth finishing. Apparently, it is, so I will keep on. I just keep wondering--Is there a story in here somewhere???? Or is this just an opportunity for all of these characters to feel sorry for themselves and make everyone else around them miserable?

My friend, also an avid Scarpetta fan, has read the book and felt the same way about the beginning. Just get past it and get on with the good stuff. I'm looking forward to finding it.
Ryan (01/07/05)

I am 13 and I found The Last Preicinct to be one of Patricia Cornwells best books, I have admired the way that she writes about the legend that is Dr Kay Scarpetta for ages now and I think The Last Precinct was one of the most moving books which I have ever read.
Tabatha (09/29/03)

I think that the book showed great emotion. It was a compelling sort of life story that makes you want to live with them. I've read thousands of books and very few are moving. Very few make you feel the compassion of the writer. But I think that this book, The last Precinct, makes you feel what she's feeling. You want to laugh with her, cry with her, make love along side her. IT's a very deep and moving novel and I'll always hold it dear to my heart.
Lynda (07/12/03)

I have read, no devoured, the entire Kay Scarpetta series over the past year. I have enjoyed Kay as a character who is smart, caring, assertive, honest - possesses all the qualities that every woman could want. Here, with what could possibly be the end of the series, I struggled through overlong, overly repititous story, as depressed as Kay - because I was so disappointed in her. Thankfully, the last few chapters just wrapped everything up and sent her off in Lucy's helicopter. What a sad ending to a great series and a truly great fictional character.
Shelli (04/13/03)

I am one of the more avid readers out there... at least I think so. I am a married, mother of four with a full time job as a Sr. Loan Closer for Washington Mutual Bank. HOWEVER.... Patricia Cornwell is one of those authors that I find myself making time anywhere to read her books. No this isn't a book forsome that is just coming into the series of Scarpetta mysteries but it is one for those of us that have read her from the very beginning. I was so grateful to finally find out alot if information about her and the history of what makes her so great. My only concern is where does it go from here. I love these books and really, really, don't want to find out that this was the last one! I think that by her writing this the way she did it gave us insight not only into Kay but also into Patricia herself as well. A lot of authors d oresearch for their books but I feel that she does do more than that. She actually becomes her characters to a certain extent. I felt that I was actually there with Kay and going thru the same things that she was. This was by far THE most indepth book in the series! 5 ***** as well as 2 Thumbs Up as far as I am concerned!
Niki Gilmore (11/22/02)

Unbelievable detail! All of Patricia Cornwell's books have captivated me! I am a college student planning to graduate this May with my teaching degree and I can't seem to find interest in my homework! I cannot put her books down once I get started. I find myself wishing I could meet Dr. Kay Scarpetta! I love to read and always have, but I have not found an author yet who compares!
Huge fan in the state of Wyoming!
Mary (11/21/02)

I have read every one of the Kay Scarpetta books and can't wait for the next. No, this book was not for a first time reader but for one who has followed this all the way from the start it was really great. I found that after reading the book I was worried and depressed and scared as though I was going through it myself and couldn't wait to read more.
Jay Walker (10/18/02)

I didn't realize how involved this book was with Black Sunday until I was a good 40-50 pages into the book. Fortunately Cornwell does a decent job of filling in details around the story, so I do feel like I can understand the main plot of Black Sunday. Unfortunately, I have just been unable to get used to Cornwell's style. The book is plodding and overwritten. It takes her 60 pages to describe something that it would take Patterson or Sanford 20 pages to do. It is filled with reflection and thoughts to the point that the only way someone could even read some passages would be if they were die-hard Scarpetta fans. If you are a first time Cornwell reader, don't even try this book - it is for serious fans only.

By the time I was halfway through the book I was pretty tired of Kay Scarpetta's sudden realizations of the obvious, and rehashing of the same emotions and ideas. I found myself continually glancing through 6 and 8 pages at a time to skip the endless reflection so that I could get back to the plot. The characters are mostly interesting, and Cornwell does add some good insights that help make them unique, especially Marino and Anna. At the same time, other characters who are supposed to be important, like Lucy, come across as shallow and thin - perhaps relying on information from earlier books to give them context. Unfortunately, a couple interesting characters cannot carry what is otherwise a tiring read. This is complicated by the fact that some of the reflections just seem out of context. You are given the feeling that Cornwell wrote the book, then went back and added some "personal insights" so that fans could feel like the really learned something new about Kay and the other characters. If you really think you need to read this book, find an abridged version somewhere.

The Search