Reader reviews and comments on The Good Father, plus links to write your own review.

By Noah Hawley

• Hardcover: Mar 2012,
    Paperback: Jan 2013,

There are currently 24 reader reviews for The Good Father

avid (03/04/12)

Worth reading
A good psychological study of a dad whose son is accused of killing a popular political figure. It kept me reading, although it didn't really go in the direction I was expecting. Since finishing, I've really spent some time reflecting on the subject; it's not one you soon forget. Bordering on profound; definitely captivating.
Tillie H. (Baltimore, MD) (01/19/12)

Compelling
This is a compelling novel about a father whose son has been accused of murdering the next president. The book is very well written and shows how the father believes in the son's innocence no matter what the media says. His journey through process causes him to soul search to discover if there is something he could have done to prevent this tragedy.

I would definitely recommend this book to everyone. The only part of this book that I didn't like is that he seeks to compare this situation with all the other assassinations that have made headlines in the past 5 decades. But, I would still recommend it.
Jinny K. (Fremont, CA) (01/04/12)

The Good Father
Compelling and tragic tale of a devoted father's quest to find the answer to his son's inexplicable murderous act. He traces his son's actions over the last few years, agonizes over every moment of his childhood and researches murders of public figures in a heartbreaking but fruitless effort to understand the tragedy.

His character is very sympathetic and the story is engaging.
Elinor M. (Roswell, NM) (12/30/11)

The Good Father
This is definitely a novel that captures your interest from the start. Hawley exhibits a remarkable style of writing that places the reader clearly in the mind of both father and son. One can feel the tug of guilt in the father as his relentless attempts to help his son seem in vain. At the same time, the independent nature of the son grasps your consciousness.

"Blame" seems to be the name of the game here and I feel, because of that very subject, "The Good Father" would be an excellent book club choice, resulting in spirited discussions. Book club member or not, Hawley's work is a gripping narrative of a father/son relationship. It has my wholehearted recommendation.

(As an aside, having recently reviewed William Landay's "Defending Jacob", I noted a similarity in the storyline at the start and, particularly later, at the point wherein the possibility of inherited genes was considered as the behavioral cause.)
Cynthia C. (Peekskill, NY) (12/29/11)

The Good Father by Noah Hawley
I was not able to put this book down. A plot straight out of today's headlines with well-drawn characters, it is an intense read, perfect for book club discussions. Highly recommended!
Dawn C. (Meridian, ID) (12/28/11)

The Good Father by Noah Hawley
Dr. Paul Allen is successful with patients, and seems to have an ideal life, father of twins with a second wife, and a son from his first marriage, Daniel. Daniel has issues and even changed his name. Dr. Paul finds out that his son is accused of shooting a candidate for president on the news. How to be a father, do the right things, and be there for you family is intense and emotional. Very good psychological novel.
Debbie M. (grand junction, CO) (12/27/11)

The Good Father
The Good Father was a fascinating book. You think you know your child, but do you? Dr Paul Allen was a good father, trying hard to raise good children. What would cause his oldest child to do the unthinkable, to assassinate a presidential candidate .
The book looks at how one family dealt with being in the spotlight. The denial and then the scrutinizing of every detail over and over again. We seldom think about the family of the accused. How they feel. What their lives must be like from that moment on. How they blame themselves. Hawley gives us great insight into a situation none of us ever want to find ourselves in.
J W. (Davis, CA) (12/22/11)

Could be great
This is a very good book. It could be great. The plot is compelling, the father character well developed and the story authentic. The only complaint is that there were too many medical analogies. After the fifth or sixth we got the point - he was a doctor and a good one. There may have been reasons for the author to keep using them, but it became boring.
This is a tragic situation that we all hope we never experience and this father felt his guilt intensely. He became obsessed with trying to find a reason for his son's crime...but all along he knew the truth. We all look for someone or something to blame when a horrible event takes place. Usually the answer is close to home.
This is a book worth reading.

Parents of Young Killers

The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove