Reader reviews and comments on Wesley the Owl, plus links to write your own review.

The Remarkable Love Story of an Owl and His Girl

By Stacey O'Brien

• Hardcover: Aug 2008,
    Paperback: Jun 2009,

There are currently 12 reader reviews for Wesley the Owl

Linda Freedman (11/01/10)

wesley the owl
This was a very interesting book and I loved the owl. I felt like he was right next to me as I was reading this book. I could relate to Stacey as we have a talking Mynah bird as a pet. He learns a lot from us and is teaching us new things every day. I definitely recommend this book to all readers and I hope that they enjoy it as much as I did. Hopefully I would like to meet the author some day to share our ideas about the human/animal bond that we have in common. Thank you Stacey. Much aloha to you....
Sharon (10/16/10)

A book not to be forgotten
This book engulfed me. I laughed, I cried, and I would talk about it to everyone I encountered for weeks afterwards. Over a year later, I made it my book club selection as I found the book so memorable and refreshing from the numerous others I had read. It's educational and thoroughly entertaining.... heart warming as well! I have recommended it to all my friends. If you even liked Marley and Me a little bit, I believe you will love this book!
Joni (03/18/10)

I loved Wesley the Owl!
I read this book in two days and found it so refreshing. Although you will learn a great deal about barn owls by reading it, the book is not just for animal lovers. I think the book addresses the joys and hardships of life and how love will get you through. It is not corny or sappy and it does not talk down to you about scientific matters. She speaks using her own voice and teaches you while also telling the fascinating story of her life. It is also about dedication and how rewarding it is to see a promise through. I can't say enough about this book and I think it would be great for preteens and teenagers too. It moved me.
T Botkin (06/23/09)

Bird Love or Love Bird
As a bird enthusiast and owner, I fell in love with the book. I will purchase as many copies as I have friends and family. I know that they will laugh out loud as I did especially because I have a Love bird that has endured numerous incidents through the last 16 years. I can relate to Stacie because I know too that the day will come when he's gone. I took my time reading the book. I did not want it to end because the end was inevitable. I sobbed and sobbed. At 1am, I got up, took Elvis the love bird out of his cage and snuggled and slept with him in the recliner. I realized that although I have done all I can do that I will still have the same feelings of guilt when he passes. Stacie inspired me to write a journal! God Bless you Stacie where ever you are. If ever in Texas, I would love to meet and trade bird tales.
Casha Goodwin (06/11/09)

Not Just for the Bird Lover
This is a unique, remarkable and well told story. I am an animal lover however never developed an affinity for birds. This book touched my heart and soul. I immediately went out and bought a bird feeder when I finished the book! A great read.
Darlene Berry Lauth (05/19/09)

if you have a bird, you must read this book!
I have always loved birds and own three at present. However, this book is priceless because the author is a scientist. She is excruciatingly thorough in describing Wesley, and somehow links it all to life itself and the grand scheme of things. Read it, and share it!
Lisa (01/21/09)

An Awesome Read !!
While reading her memoir about a barn owl, I felt every emotion. I felt her joy and pain and the true sense of closeness she developed with Wesley over the years. Stacy has this ability to write intelligently using facts without being dull. Most biologists write too scientifically void of personality,but she captures the reader's attention and holds it. I never imagined how interesting owls were until now. Nor did I know that a depressed owl can will himself to die. They are very sensitive, intelligent creatures. I highly recommend this book. I think those people who don't consider themselves sensitive will be shocked. You will laugh out loud, tear up sometimes, and beg for her to write another fantastic read! Also, how she can remember so much over a 19 year span is amazing to me. I hope she writes another winner soon!!
Starshadow (01/16/09)

Wesley the Owl
This remarkable look at a bond between a human and an owl is soul-stirring, sweet and funny. It's not meant to be a treatise on the ultimate facts on barn owl behavior, as the author understood that the bird imprinting on a human would modify its own interactions with humans and its behavior. It has some fascinating looks at the quirks of scientists, however, and its facts on owlish behaviors jibe with what was known at the time. It may not be scientific, but birds do have personalities and they do show embarrassment, as anyone who has interacted with animals enough knows. I did not find it mawkish or excessive, but rather, sweet, funny and, inevitably, sad as all partings are when a human outlives an animal that has been bonded to him or her. I recommend the book to any animal lover.

• Book Jacket: The Promise