Reader reviews and comments on Night, plus links to write your own review.

By Elie Wiesel

• Hardcover: Jan 2006,
    Paperback: Jan 2006,

There are currently 20 reader reviews for Night

Kendell Sutton (11/09/13)

Great read!
Great novel! I very much enjoyed the Novel night and the lessons it taught me. Elie Wiesel truly takes us into the concentration camps and shows us what cruel things man does to each other first hand. He does what he must to survive and he continues to stay in there even when things take a turn for the worst. I feel most everybody should be instructed to read this book and learn that we shouldn’t single any one group or person out because of their beliefs or culture. This genocide was bullying to an extreme level and we still have it on smaller scale today in modern day places. This book teaches all its readers to really treat others you want to be treated and all with mutual respect. I loved this book and it definitely goes to my top “reads”.
Landon Staats (11/04/13)

REview over NIGHT
I think Night was a great read, considering the fact that not many people have experienced what he experienced, and get to talk about it. He includes many details which makes the book even more interesting. His journey is entertaining to read about. he includes feelings in his work, that makes the reader feel sad or bad for him. He had to go through such hard conditions when he was so young. He saw so many die around him and he stayed persistent and did what he could to live. It shows how strong willed he is, and I think it was very inspiring to read about.
Camaro (08/09/11)

WOWWWWW!!!!!
Night is the BEST book i have ever read about the holocaust. Unlike most Holocaust book it is not a very emotional book in the tense that it makes you sad, but it does fill you with anger at the way humanity acts towards each other. The childish attempt to place the blame of Germanys failure resulted in the unjust punishment of an innocent people that is displayed clearly in this novel without the regular fog of emotions. Night is a stunning story of faith, cruelty, and love that tries to find a place in a world were the only way to survive is to rely only on ones self and not be burdened with family, friends, or common human compassion.
Bryant Alexander (12/28/10)

Challenge
I read Night and to me it summarizes a man who meant threw such pain and torture that there was never a light at the end of it. Elie single-handedly changed the way I saw the Holocaust. He brought forth the meaning of CHALLENGE....
TeXaS~CoWgIrL (11/02/10)

Absolutly the Greatest!
This book inspired me to enjoy life as it is because you never know when death will come knocking at your door. He was brave and tough as stone. This is by far the best book I have ever read. I hope one day my kids will read this and feel the same.
nichole peters (03/22/10)

night
This makes you really think about life in the holocaust . I just recently read it in school. I just wish he would tell a little more about his life after the holocaust but overall it shows how real the holocaust was.
BEH (03/05/10)

Night
AMAZING! I loved this book. Wiesel packs so much power and meaning behind the words it's overwhelming, but in a good way.
Tharun ISB OR (01/29/10)

Night
Many Holocaust survivors still remember their experiences in Concentration camps, with starvation, with no water. Night, by Elizer Wiesel, provides a short and moving account of his experience in Nazi concentration camps during World War II. This book was however not a realistic fiction, but it was a memoir of Wiesel’s memories of the concentration camp. The protagonist and the narrator of the story is Wiesel himself. The main Antagonists of the story are the Nazi. The main setting is in Auschwitz, a Concentration camp in Poland

Night begins in 1941, when Elie is twelve years old, having grown up in a little town called Sighet in Transylvania; in 1944, Germans are already in the town of Sighet and they set up ghettos for the Jews. After a while, the Germans begin the deportation of the Jews to the concentration camp in Auschwitz. Once they arrived in At Birkenau, a place in Auschwitz, Elie separates from his mothers and sisters, and stays with his father. Elie starts to make friends, and tries to survive in the concentration camp. He also starts to make a strong bonding with his father and they start living for each other. After one year of suffering, Elie’s father dies of Dysentery, and Elie is forced to take care of himself. In the end, he looks at himself in the mirror, instead he looks at a “corpse” in the mirror, and he sees how much he has changed the past one year.

When I first saw this book, I picked this because of the author of the book, Elie Wiesel, a famous holocaust survivor. I thought that this story was going to be an ordinary child labor story. But after reading this I was feeling more matured, and I can understand how he missed his childhood. I also felt that I was not one of the unluckiest one to face such a tragedy. Night is not a normal tragedy story, but a Story starts gloomy, and Ends gloomy. But the biggest thing in the end is that, Elie realizes that the youth is no longer in him. He says that he has changed a lot, and sees an adult in him. “From the depths of the mirror, a corpse gazed back at me. The look in his eyes, as they stared into mine, has never left me.” (pg.115, passage 6) Some parts of the book made me feel sorry the Jews who died. The part where he was talking about watching his dad dying was the most piercing, and touching part. “No prayers were said over his tomb. No Candle lit in his memory. His last words had been my name. He had called it out to me but I had not answered. I did not weep, and deep inside me, if I could have searched the recesses of my feeble conscience, I might found something like: Free at last! …” (pg.112, passage 4 and 5) These quotes touched me and made me to go in that story. After reading this book, I asked myself these questions: What if I was in that same situation that Elie Wiesel faced? How would I react to it? On a scale of one to ten, I would rate this book a nine. This book affected me so much, and also made me more religious.

Reviews from the Oprah Winfrey book club: “A true story that we would rather not think about, but need to hear and remember.” I agree with this because I never read such a violent and emotional book than this, but we need to hear and remember these stories so then we don’t do the same mistakes again. “Night is not, however, primarily about making the reader sad or dwelling on the past. It is about remembering. Wiesel wrote his memoir so that we would remember what happened and remember what civilized humans are capable of.” And also this part of the segment says: “Remembering, however, is not a fruitless task. We remember so that we can tackle the big questions honestly and so we can change” This is what happened to me while reading the book. Overall Night is the story of Elie Wiesel, a survivor whose belief of god and humanity died during holocaust.

• Book Jacket: The Promise