Reader reviews and comments on The Girls, plus links to write your own review.

The Girls

By Lori Lansens

The Girls

• Hardcover: May 2006,
    Paperback: Apr 2007,

There are currently 8 reader reviews for The Girls

River (01/29/11)

OMG
Omg I wanted to cry, laugh, and just smile at the same time. If I did my face would have cracked in half.
Marilyn (08/06/10)

a good read
I enjoyed reading this book. It was sad at times, going off in unnecessary directions with too many details at times and stereotyped when discussing the trip to Slovakia. But I kept reading. The writer was able to create a realistic description and interesting story of a very unusual situation. I found it confusing when she jumped back and forth in time without any continuity but I kept reading. The twins lives, the up to date nature of the references and the story are well described. The book covers many important issues such as abandonment, adoption, discrimination of the handicapped, living life as someone different from the many stream. The author does a good job of dealing with these.
Elina (05/18/10)

a little miffed
While I did enjoy this book, and would recommend it to others, I was a little miffed at the way the author portrayed the people in Slovakia. Being from a neighboring eastern European country myself, I have visited a few of the countries (not Slovakia) and have not found the people to be the way the writer has portrayed the villagers. Of course, living in Canada, I have met many Slovakians as well as eastern Europeans, and can't help but feel that some people would be offended by the liberties the writer has taken. However, it is a novel, and with that in mind, it was an interesting and enjoyable read. I would have rated this book a 4 if it were not for the lack of research on the writer's part.
Stacey (09/19/08)

The girls
I have just finished reading this book and i can honestly say that it bought a few tears to my eyes. From start to finish i found it hard to put down. I forgot at times that these two girls were conjoined. Its an amazing book about the reality of these two different young girls, i was sad that it had to come to an end of the story.
Marianna (02/19/08)

I feel deeply hurt
I was enjoying this book till I found wrong informations about the country of my origin, Slovakia. I feel deeply hurt, disappointed and sad. The first of all, Grozovo is not even in Slovakia.

The author seems to be just ignorant and capable of writing whatever just to make her book more "attractive".

She's describing the journey to Slovakia, to the village that is not there. Complaining about Slovak saying the word "Prosim" (wrongly translated as ... If you please) very often. We are polite nation and this word might be used as "please", "here you are" etc. Wooden wagons? Oil lamps? It's really too much.

the Author's girls are complaining about Slovakians who are not staring at them. And offers the explanation why - because they think twins are evil. Do you (author) really think Slovakians are so dumb? Then she's complaining that people are staring too much. So, what do you want? Don't you think that by describing Slovak nation as the group of uneducated, ugly, stinky people living in villages without electricity and believing in witches in not going to hurt anyone?

Nobody speaks English. Yes, in villages, not many. However, here in Canada, how many people speak grammatically correct English? You go to convenient store and the cashier doesn't understand you. Here. In Canada. How many people here are really educated? You are proving to me that not too many.

The twins are complaining about stinky buses there. What about Toronto? Isn't TTC stinky, dirty and dangerous?

You are almost laughing at old church in Slovakia. Do you know that churches there - especially in the east - are hundreds of years old? How dare could you make fun of it? What is historical building here, in Canada? Some building 50 years old and you are proudly calling it "history".

Your description of St. Cathrine celebration... No, people do not believe in witches. How can you portrait such things? Have you ever been there? Have you ever been thinking about how much you can hurt someone?

I really don't think so.

Honestly, I didn't finish reading this book. Maybe I'll write one about Canadians, about their ignorance, how funny they are when they don't know where Slovakia is situated, so I always say.. I'm from Central Europe. How horribly fat they are, how discriminative, how badly dressed. I hope you - Ms. Lori - will enjoy it
Selene Booklover (06/19/07)

Complex and Intriguing
This was an intriguing story and a very, fast read. It seemed almost non-fiction. If you have seen the Schappell twins on TV, you almost believe this story is about them. Lori and Reba Schappell are craniopagus twins, just as Ruby and Rose in the novel. Their birthdays are very similar as well. I originally thought this was a thinly veiled biography of them. The book is written in a semi-journal form which compliments the story line. I read this in one afternoon, so absorbed in the day-to-day struggle of living this life. I plan on recommending this for my book club.
Charlene (04/11/07)

Different
This book was different. Because the writing was well done, it helped to pull the reader even more into the well-conceived tale. It was a book that many will enjoy.
Melissa (09/25/06)

I miss them already!
Our book club read this book; some loved it, others simply liked it. It was a touching story to all of us, one member wants to read it again, but must wait till she is emotionally ready. I appreciate the independence of the connected twins and envy the closeness.

• Book Jacket: Gemini
    Gemini
    by Carol Cassella
  • Book Jacket: The Goldfinch
    The Goldfinch
    by Donna Tartt
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction.

Her canvas is vast. To frame a story about art, love and ...
  • Book Jacket: Toms River
    Toms River
    by Dan Fagin
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for Nonfiction

In Toms River, investigative journalist Dan Fagin ...

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zevin

Published Apr. 2014

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.

P Your O C