Reader reviews and comments on My Friend Leonard, plus links to write your own review.

By James Frey

• Hardcover: Jun 2005,
    Paperback: May 2006,

There are currently 8 reader reviews for My Friend Leonard

Natasha (04/22/11)

Honesty
This book allowed me to explore human emotion in a way that I had not experienced before and have not come across since. Throughout the entire story, I felt as if James Frey were speaking to me personally and that he understood the way I felt in all the trials I have had to overcome in my own life. He describes events with simplistic detail in such a manner that his words dig their way into the reader and awaken feelings, uncomfortable, depressing, weakening, that would have otherwise been forgotten and buried deep inside the soul. I am grateful to him for helping me experience those emotions. My Friend Leonard is my favorite book and the only one that has ever made me cry. Ironically, but understandably, I found it at church, and am thankful that I did. It has inspired me to try to see other people in a more meaningful light and not judge them based solely on what is outwardly presented. I love this book and would recommend it to anyone who is in need of healing, comfort, or simply an understanding of the world around them.
NIKKICOLA (04/15/10)

AWESOME
This book is amazing. I started reading it a while back, then I told my mom about it and then she started reading it before I had a chance to even finish it, So she finished it before I did and she said it was a great book. I am about done with it now and I really don't read books that often, but I picked up this one and I just could not put it down. Thank you James Frey, you opened my eyes and my heart, I hope to meet you one day......
Daniella (05/08/09)

Nothing expected
You expect a great book coming from the James Frey, but not one that's got a situational irony at the end. what surprises me most is that everything is true and quite heartbreaking.

This book is shocking, heartbreaking, and just as great as the first. Frey didn't let us down.
timmy (11/13/07)

Nothing compares.
I just finished reading My Friend Leonard. I am absolutely speechless. I was in tears at the end of the book. Frey knows how to get to his reader. The book (and a million little pieces as well) is brutally honest and Frey can really, really write well. Full of tension, drama, comedy and romance, both books conveyed many things about life and can relate to us whether on a small or large scale. I don't care about the whole 'a million little pieces' honesty scandal, because Frey with his beautiful and poetic writing is allowed to make up whatever the fuck he wants. Nothing will ever compare to Frey's two magnificent books, and if he were in front of me right now, i wouldn't be able to generate words which could explain how emotionally outstanding they were. You're a fool if you don't read them.
ACE (01/23/07)

It opened my eyes
when I started reading A Million Little Pieces I was amazed by the truth behind drugs, when you read other books and if they involve drugs they always talk about how good it feels and never the truth about where they lead to. James Frey might of had his hard times but he exposed the truth about drugs. My Friend Leonard continued his story, James not only told you about how it was to live with a drug addiction but he told you have it was to live as a sober man surround by a society that drinks. He understood that just because he had to change his friends didn't have to. I am a high school student and I enjoyed this story I was able to look beyond the text and find the true meaning about the message which he was trying to give and if you want to know what it is the only thing i can say is read the book and find your meaning. James and Leonard helped be find the answer to by question, what is the meaning of life? It is what ever you want it to be. This book is really good! Read it!
Emma (01/17/07)

My Friend Leonard
Another excellent book. I was hooked from start to finish, as with A Million Little Pieces I couldn't put it down.

Although a little of this book may be made up you have to admire James and wish him all the best for the future. Heres hoping for another great book!
RiA (12/15/06)

My Opn
Well.. I must say.. tht the book was quite good.. I mean I just like had to read it.... A Million Little Pieces. was just excellent. .. so I had to find out the outcome of James Freys story. The book teaches morality.. and makes the reader think about well JUST everything!.. I finished the book in like two days.. it kept me very interested!... Even though some parts might be untrue.. it didn't bother me at all.. U got to give credit To Mr. Frey.. i mean no ONE CAN JUST WRITE a book like this! :)
anita (08/04/05)

my friend leonard
How fortunate all of us would be to have such a good friend as Leonard!!! Although this book is not quite as good as A Million Little Pieces, it still evokes great passion for the author. The writing style is unique and reads very quickly. You come away with a sense that the author has made it through the worst of times. I was rooting for James Frey from the moment I started his first book. A wonderful author...I hope he keeps on writing and fills his audience in on his life today.

• Book Jacket: The Promise