Reader reviews and comments on Blow Fly, plus links to write your own review.

Blow Fly

By Patricia Cornwell

Blow Fly

There are currently 18 reader reviews for Blow Fly

Lila J (12/30/09)

Are all these reviews by the SAME PERSON?
I actually liked this book. Sorry, folks! As people evolve, and things happen to them: they change. Such as in real life! I am wondering if all these reviews are written by the same person! They sound the same. Scarpetta is burnt out and so is Benton. The story line is captivating and Cornwell's writing is up to snuff as always.

I like how she tries to roll with the punches despite the odds and that is what makes this series good. And Lucy will always be a non-traditional heroine, like her or leave her. Marino was flawed from the very beginning - I think this is fine fiction to have him go in the direction he has.

Looking forward to the next installment.
Renee (11/28/04)

I have so enjoyed previous Scarpetta stories. I felt that Blow Fly however, went off in too many plotlines without doing any of them justice. There was too much going on in a shallow sense, none of it really deepened into situation thats would heighten suspense. It was a big disappointment. However, I willl naturally buy the next Scarpetta novel because I have thoroughly enjoyed her character in the past.
puckrat (10/12/04)

In my opinion this book is good, but only as a stand-alone and not as part of a series.

As an installment in a serial, there are too many inconsistencies in the events reported in earlier installements versus how those same events are represented here.

Also there is a shift from the 1rst person perspective to the 3rd person. Perhaps it is meant as a vehicle though encouraging the reader to feel the same distance that perhaps Scarpetta is supposed to be feeling, but I don't like it.

All-in-all, to me this book has the feel of a ghost-writer filling in in order to meet a deadline. That doesn't mean I won't buy and read the next one, but if this feel continues in the next it will be my last Scarpetta novel purchase.
sengirl (09/13/04)

this book was really disappointing to me. i've read all of the scarpetta books and was really glad when she came out with another. when i first started reading the book, i was confused becuase the books went from Kay Scarpetta speaking in first person, to the entire book being in 2nd person. i agree that if this book had been the first one of cornwell's that i had ever read, it would also have been the last. i'm hoping that the upcoming Trace will make up for the disappointment of Blow Fly.
Donna Scheel (09/06/04)

I agree with most of the other reviewers that "Blowfly" was not even close to the author's best work. She used to leave the reader hanging at the end of each chapter so that you would keep reading into the wee hours of the morning ignoring the fact that you had to get up and go to work in 6, 5, 4, 3, etc. hours!

Our heroine, Kay Scarpetta, has lost her zest for life. Of course, who wouldn't considering all the tragedy that her personal and professional life have given her! Maybe that is what Cornwell is trying to give us a feel for. The problem is, that the audience, though not uncaring, are mystery lovers. We want a story with twists and turns where eventually the heroine succeeds!

If Ms. Cornwell is trying to expand her writing genre, my suggestion is that she not market her new works using her old characters. This definitely left this reader disappointed.
Rose (08/01/04)

Having read the entire Scarpetta series, I was prepared to enjoy the latest installment. In that pursuit, I was greatly disappointed. If this had been the first book I read in the series, it would have been the last. It is as though the book were comprised of out takes from the author's possible scenario file. Things just don't make sense. Readers of a series can be forgiven for expecting a certain consistency in its characters, unless the author gives us plausible reasons why and how the characters have changed. The vast departure in character traits depicted in Blow Fly is bewildering. Dr. Scarpetta has morphed from a can do, no nonsense professional into an emotionally crippled parody of herself, lamenting the good old days, and talking nonsense to her dog, who avoids her. Who wouldn't? We are asked believe that Dr. Scarpetta's changing fortunes have forced her to live in a run down rental house in Florida. I remember--if the author has forgotten--that the (no longer) deceased Benton Wesley left her a $600,000 condo, which she has sold, and invested the money. Her custom built house is history as well. Yet, Cornwell suggests that Dr. Scarpetta is close to standing in the bread line. Admired, even revered, by many, the poor girl can hardly get work or make ends meet. I find this not credible. Even more perplexing is the way all of her closest colleagues-- even those thought to be dead -- have devolved into assassins, no better than the thugs they pursue in the name of civilized society. While Lucy may have always been a loose cannon--more so than ever in this book-- Wesley and Marino have consistently been portrayed as having a basic decency and humanity. Now one blows people away so that he can return to his former life, and the other claims a willingness to murder his own, albeit estranged, son. The law upholders are now the lawless, killing with no seeming remorse, to suit their own agendas. After an array of disjointed 2 page chapters, Benton and Scarpetta meet face to face, in one of the most anti-climatic scenes in letters. It rings hollow. We are told that in a world of lambs and wolves, that Dr. Scarpetta is the latter. Yet, in the face of the deception of all those she loves and trusts, she responds more like prey than predator. Gone is Scarpetta's fire. This is so much out of character that one could conclude that the good doctor must be suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, which is how I felt when I finished this book. Please: Physician, heal thyself.

Scarpetta fan (06/28/04)

Blow Fly is a sucker punch. I have enjoyed reading each of the Scarpetta novels, but Blow Fly is terrible. I have never had to work so hard to finish reading a book. There is little or no plot through most of the book, next to nothing seems to happen for the first four hundred pages of the book, and then the book is over. I even wondered if Cornwell didn't have some budding novelist friend of hers write it for her. It is that bad. Bring characters back from the dead is best left to the Bible and daytime soaps. I miss the Scarpetta mysteries Cornwell wrote in first person back at the beginning of the series.

fooled once
Rae (04/26/04)

I was disappointed in this book. I generally love Patricia Cornwell's work, but not this time. I don't know what has happened. I wonder if someone else wrote this for her. The main characters are friends of ours from previous books, and it was fun to read about them until just past the midpoint of the book. Then it seemed to take on a different look, a hurried look, reminiscent of hurrying to finish a paper in college. Do read this book if you have spare time, just so you won't be lost when the next one comes out. However, I suggest borrowing instead of buying this one to read.

• Book Jacket: The Goldfinch
    The Goldfinch
    by Donna Tartt
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction.

Her canvas is vast. To frame a story about art, love and ...
  • Book Jacket: Toms River
    Toms River
    by Dan Fagin
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for Nonfiction

In Toms River, investigative journalist Dan Fagin ...
  • Book Jacket: The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
    The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
    by Gabrielle Zevin
    I feel like Gabrielle Zevin wrote this wonderful book, about a lonely New England bookstore owner ...

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zevin

Published Apr. 2014

1.  143Happier at Home:
    Gretchen Rubin
  2.  254Cartwheel:
    Jennifer duBois

Not doing more than the average is what keeps the average down

P Your O C