Reader reviews and comments on The Dive From Clausen's Pier, plus links to write your own review.

The Dive From Clausen's Pier

By Ann Packer

The Dive From Clausen's Pier

• Hardcover: Apr 2002,
    Paperback: Apr 2003,

There are currently 8 reader reviews for The Dive From Clausen's Pier

Lindsay (01/14/05)

This was a great novel and I am so happy it found its way into my life. I recommend it for all people in need of a good book.
Lorrie (10/20/04)

I enjoyed the book; however it was not great literature. I felt Carrie did mature during the course of the book although everyone wanted something from her, and she had very little to give after the accident. Kilroy was a character who needed more explanation. He was very needy emotionally just as Mike was needy physically. The ending of the book needed clarification, or is the author going to write a sequel?
Stefanie (03/07/04)

I am a high school student and I read this book in preparation for a book report I have to do. It was a great book and I would recommend it to people of all ages. Many people who have reviewed this book online said they don't like it, but I disagree. I really enjoyed reading it and I encourage everyone to do the same.
Julie (07/08/03)

I was disappointed. I expected a more mature novel (sex doesn't make it mature, either). It reads like a trumped-up teen pot-boiler. I'll forget having read this in a few days. Also, as a Wisconsinite, I'm disappointed. The author seems to know nothing about the state and it's culture and people (especially Madison) except the geography she looked up in an atlas.
Louseey (06/09/03)

We unanimously voted on this book for our book club pick--from reviews and the subject matter--thought it would be thought provoking and a great read. However, no one in our group liked this book--some couldn't even get through it. We found none of the characters likeable. Unfotunate because it is a great premise.
Brownstone (06/06/03)

I read this book, not knowing what to expect. I didn't read any of the reviews online until after I finished it. It seems that most people do not like this book.

I have read complaints that the Carrie's character didn't change, didn't develop throughout the book. On the contrary, I saw/felt changes within her. The book is broken into three parts. The middle part is the change. The first and third parts she remained stagnant. I, personally thought that was good - it was showing she was settling back, going back to her old life, her roots.

I loved this book.

I grew up near Madison. The author didn't use typical Midwestern stereotypes to build the characters (well, not completely anyway).

It was, indeed, thought provoking. Having to make a decision like that at such a young age, so many would have done the same thing she did. And I think the ending was plausible. It wasn't far-fetched, it wasn't a fairy tale.
Anonymous (12/27/02)

I was disappointed because Carrie seemed a static character throughout the book. As a matter of fact, I never saw much growth in any of the characters. There were opportunities for growth within Carrie's character, but it seemed to me that she took a passive way out of each dilemma. Carrie never seemed to learn from her relationships with Mike, Kilroy, Jamie and her mother, who could have provided some insight and reflection with her feelings remained very much a background character.

Dive from Clausen's Pier had the potential to be a great story, but I was left with the feeling that Carrie was at heart selfish and hadn't grown beyond selfishness--not just because of her relationship with Mike, but with all her relationships as she took from everyone, but seemed to feel no real obligation to give.
jan mayrick (07/09/02)

A superbly written and beautifully crafted novel about love, loyalty, and the difficult choices one has to make in order to be true to oneself.

• Book Jacket: Shotgun Lovesongs
    by Carol Cassella
  • Book Jacket: The Goldfinch
    The Goldfinch
    by Donna Tartt
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction.

Her canvas is vast. To frame a story about art, love and ...

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry