Read what people think about Safe with Me by Amy Hatvany, and write your own review.

Safe with Me

By Amy Hatvany

Safe with Me

• Published in USA  Mar 2014,

There are currently 66 reader reviews for Safe with Me

Judy M. (East Haven, CT) (11/14/13)

Safe With Me
This book started with a bang, and left me in tears within the first few pages. Ultimately, it was a good read, and a quick read (which I do sometimes enjoy)
he book touched on so many great thought provoking topics, relationships, death, transplants ,and most importantly (to me) organ donation.
What I found was that I felt it dealt with too many things, making all of them seem less interesting to me.
Although the book tied everything together in the end, I felt like I saw it coming in about the first half. That left me without a suspense factor.
I also did not love the character's in the book, or their relationships.
So, I did give it a GOOD READ status, but for me it was so-so.
Sharalynne P. (Valparaiso, IN) (11/14/13)

KIND OF A DOWNER
Oh my....talk about a downer! I found this book to be an easy read, liked the style of the writing. Thought the characters were well developed, I could picture them very clearly. But the subject matter...very depressing....so many sad things in one book! Death, illness, betrayal, abandonment, bullying...not for the faint of heart. If that doesn't bother you, you might like it..I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone unless I told them about it first....
Penny P. (Santa Barbara, CA) (11/14/13)

A quick read
I sat down and read this book in a day. It was good for a quick read. I think it dealt with a lot of relevant topics such a losing a child, abuse, family dysfunction, fear of relationships and organ donation. To me, the most well developed character was Maddie, maybe because she was the only character written in first person. I did like the way the two stories crossed. I thought the book was an enjoyable read but I don't think I will recommend it to my book club since these days; everyone wants to read something truly memorable.
Rebecca G. (Havertown, PA) (11/13/13)

Great Family Drama
I loved this book. It's a short read, the language isn't fancy. But the story of two mothers struggling to come to grips with their circumstances is very profound. As a mother, especially the mother of a daughter, I found myself attempting to put myself in the place of these women. Its was very difficult and I found myself on the verge of tears as I read. I don't know if I could cope with the facts of either woman's life and I am not sure which would be more difficult; losing a child or living a life of fear. This is a great book for women struggling with abuse. I give this book a good instead of excellent because I felt the ending was unsatisfactory but I did enjoy the book overall
Toni K. (Memphis, TN) (11/13/13)

Not my normal reading matter......
Thank God for Bookbrowse! BB pulls me away from my first love of Thrillers with yet another good book I would have missed. Very timely topics give this book a lot of punch. A great book for book clubs and anyone who wonders what they would do if the unthinkable happens to them!
Leah L. (Lawrence, NY) (11/13/13)

Grief, abuse, IVF, nurturing, separation....It's a book for the 21st century!
Hannah's and Olivia's worlds intersect in what some may call serendipity and others say G-d. Does it matter how? In any event, each woman has made life decisions, journeying different courses yet bonded in a way unfathomed. They and Maddie benefit from the friendship which appears initially contrived, yet proves true the age old adage, "Blood is thicker than water." Hatvany creates believable characters. The reader is able to climb into each person's head, get what's going on, and then enjoy a deceptively simple story that raises the question each stage in each character's life: What would I have done?
J W. (Davis, CA) (11/13/13)

Not a 'feel good' book
This was a story of tragedy and grief in many domestic forms. The book was quite well written but it certainly didn't leave this reader feeling anything akin to happiness. The voices of Olivia and Hannah seemed genuine but Maddy sounded much too mature for a 16yr old. Especially one who had little social interaction until she was 16. The accidental meeting of the two mother's and Maddie was handled in a realistic way. I could see it actually happening in that situation.

All in all, this was a good read and I'd recommend it to older teens as well as adults.
Diane M. (Walden, NY) (11/13/13)

Safe with me
A really enjoyable this is a story of two families united who are bonded together by a tragedy and the gift of life. I enjoyed this book so much that I went and bought other books by Hatvany. Highly recommended.

• Book Jacket: The Hundred-Year House
    The Hundred-Year House
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove