Read what people think about Safe with Me by Amy Hatvany, and write your own review.

By Amy Hatvany

• Published in USA  Mar 2014,

There are currently 66 reader reviews for Safe with Me

Debra P. (Belmont, NC) (11/24/13)

Secrets
I liked this book o.k. but felt the plot was a little too predictable. The author did a good job shining a light on spousal abuse and her characters gave us a sense of the fear associated with abuse and domestic violence. However, Olivia was pretty weak. She settled for her situation and it appeared that she did so because she had a lifestyle that was too good to give up. There are too many agencies out there and places one can go to get help these days. Olivia kept making excuses that it was her daughter's health condition, etc.. I believe she didn't want to face what her life would be without the money and status and comforts that James provided. She became a poor role model for victims of domestic abuse and violence. I guess the book will make some pretty good discussions for book groups, but in general, it is not a book I would choose.
Barbara O. (Maryland Heights, MO) (11/23/13)

Great Read
Amy Hatvany's book "Safe With Me" is a page turner. Bookclubs will find much to discuss after reading this book. Ms Hatvany's characters are well developed and her storytelling will capture your heart. Hannah, Olivia and Maddie will stay with you long after the last page and you'll find yourself imaging the rest of their stories.
Terrie J. (Eagan, MN) (11/23/13)

Safe with Me is Hard to Put Down
I loved this book. The characters were very real and the way Amy Hathvany brought them to life hooked me from the beginning. I couldn't wait to see what would happen next in the book. While it was predictable that Hannah would meet the girl that Emily saved, Olivia and Maddie's life was not predictable. This book addressed abuse and the importance of having support to leave an abusive situation, yet I felt the focus of the book was on building a strong friendship and how important it is for a woman to have other strong women in her life. I look forward to reading more books by this author!!!!
Martha L. (Warner, NH) (11/23/13)

an engaging storyline
Safe With Me by Amy Hatvany is a novel that is going to be published in March. While this is my first time reading a novel by her, this is not her first book. This book touches on difficult issues: loss of a child, organ donation and spousal abuse. There is a poignancy to the grief and a sharpness to the fear. Amy Hatvany's novel delivers characters struggling with their burdens. Their emotions underline the passion of the novel. Even during the hardest times, there is an underlying positiveness to the novel, with your hope moving them forward.

Hannah has lost her daughter, Alice. A tragic accident has left her raw with grief as she slowly pushes everything and everyone away. Her daughter's organs are donated to children needing transplants. Meanwhile, in a parallel story line, Olivia is living with her husband of many years and their teenage daughter who desperately needs a liver. Maddie is growing weaker daily, while waiting for a match. The two stories begin their connection when Maddie receives Alice's liver. However, it is as the story line continues that the secrets of Olivia and Maddie's lives are revealed.

This is the first Amy Hatvany novel I have read. I have enjoyed this book and will be adding her name to the writers to watch for. I was able to read the book easily in a day and found myself engaged with the storyline and empathy with the characters.

I received this book through BookBrowse with the understanding of providing an honest evaluation of the book.
Betsy R. (Gig Harbor, WA) (11/22/13)

Safe with Me
I just now finished Safe with Me by Amy Hatvany; I have not been able to put it down for the past day or so. She has told a story full of heartbreak in a realistic and empathetic way. Hannah, a stylist, and Olivia, a stay at home mom, are connected in ways that they would never guess; both have secrets that, once shared, give them hope. I highly recommend this book.
Michelle (Hillsdale, NJ) (11/21/13)

Don't Pass This One Up!
I have read all of Amy Hatvany's books, and this is by far my favorite one. This book brought tears to my eyes numerous times while I was reading it. The story is told from the viewpoint of several different characters, and quite honestly, I couldn't tell you which was my favorite - they were all equally interesting (usually there is always one character that I'm not thrilled about, that is perhaps a bit boring - not here!) I'm not going to tell you a summary of the story, as you can look that up for yourself - I am going to say that this book is a terrific read from beginning to end and will leave you hoping you don't finish it to soon - but you will!
Tracy B. (New Castle, DE) (11/21/13)

Safe With Me
The story is an interesting look at both sides of organ donation. Maddie the teen whose life was saved struggles to be part of the real world. Life in the mansion was safe for her, but not for her mother. Hannah the mother of Emily, the of the girl who died, struggles with her grief.

Both Maddie Bell and Hannah struggle with the WHY ME question. How these families meet each other and the relationship that follows is a combination of friendship, hope, deception and fear.

The characters were well developed and the story a compelling one.
Barbara B. (Alta Loma, CA) (11/20/13)

Who Is Me?
From the first page, this book is a real page turner. I read it non stop on a flight from LA to Chicago. Besides being exciting, it also brings up some serious subjects, such as, grief, organ donation, how an organ recipient feels emotionally after the transplant takes place, domestic violence & abuse , & finally something we can all relate to-friendship. I can understand where some readers may find it difficult to read, but these are things we deal with in our society. For this reason, I feel as though this book would be a wonderful book club selection. There is just so much to discuss. Hannah, Maddie & Olivia need each other to be safe.
The characters seem to be real & likable. I especially liked Noah,a true friend.

• Book Jacket: The Hundred-Year House
    The Hundred-Year House
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove