Read what people think about The Good House by Ann Leary, and write your own review.

By Ann Leary

• Published in USA  Jan 2013,

There are currently 27 reader reviews for The Good House

Julie D. (Rancho Palos Verdes, CA) (01/06/13)

Another hit by Ann Leary
When I got the message that I had a won a copy of Ann Leary's The Good House I was so excited. I loved her previous book and couldn't wait to get into this one.

The Good House doesn't disappoint and is filled a cast of great characters. As you read, the characters all become so multidimensional providing great conversation if you are in a book club.

Don't miss this one!
Barbara P. (Worcester, MA) (01/03/13)

The Good House
The Good House was an easy read. It was nice to find a local New England author to add to my reading list. The setting was familiar in the community of locals and the wealthy newcomers. The characters reflect a mix of lives of the professional business person to the locals with sparks of romance and everyday involvements.
Hopefully someone will read Hildy's palm and direct her future.
Melissa P. (Greenville, New York) (12/27/12)

The Good House
Hildy Good is a descendant of Sarah Good, Salem witch. Hildy's curse is alcoholism. Her family stages an intervention and sends her to rehab. Little do they know that after rehab, Hildy drinks alone at night from the bottles in her cellar, while declaring herself alcohol free. But Hildy cannot pull off this farce forever, and it eventually all catches up to her. Along with Hildy's story, the novel also details an affair between Peter and Rebecca, the trials of a couple with an autistic son and the other happenings of the small town.

I liked the writing of this book. Leary is good at description of both character and setting. Hildy was a character that I went back and forth between liking and hating. Liking won out in the end. The book was a bit slow in the middle but quickly accelerated and kept my interest until the end.

I received a copy of this book from BookBrowse for review.

Cynthia A. (Grand Rapids, MI) (12/26/12)

The Good House
"The Good House" captures so many aspects of alcoholism in such a gentle way. Denial, blackouts, the life style, shame, embarrassment and the long lasting effects it has on everyone involved is all a part of this book. Because it is written in first person the reader gets right into the alcoholics head.

I loved this book. It is fast moving, funny, interesting, enjoyable and so REAL.
Debra C. (Vienna, Georgia) (12/25/12)

The Good House...a MUST READ for 2013!
Ann Leary's "The Good House" snatched me in with it's first sentence and never let me leave until it's last. Filled with freshly crisp dialogues, settings packed with rich New England details, unforgettable characters full of depth, chilling pasts, and the possibilities of unforgiving futures. Leary's tale fulfills you; the reader will laugh uncontrollably, weep without regard, smile, wonder, fret, but in the end, you truly long to give Hil a call and list your house.
Dawn C. (Meridian, ID) (12/18/12)

The Good House by Ann Leary
I thought this book was really fun, poignant, & thought-provoking. Hildy is a realtor who lives in a small New England town. She thinks she can drink in moderation, when she is in fact an alcoholic. But as always, she is in denial. The characters are fun & remind you of people you know. I found the romance as 60 fun & encouraging. Very fun book!
Rita H. (Centennial, CO) (12/17/12)

The Good House
I found this book to be enjoyable, much on the order of a beach read. The character of Hildy Good is likeable and believable and her problem with alcohol is rather typical. The small town setting is very realistic. However, on the whole, the book is forgettable which is why I can only give it a 3.
Kim L. (cary, IL) (12/15/12)

Injured Spirit
I found this book to be well written. The characters were well developed especially that of Hildy. This is a book that many can connect with, because the characters experiences are all very believable. We have all either heard of or met someone with these issues. Very touching story and one that left an impression upon me.

• Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove