Read what people think about Salvation of a Saint by Keigo Higashino, and write your own review.

By Keigo Higashino

• Published in USA  Oct 2012,

There are currently 18 reader reviews for Salvation of a Saint

Gin H. (Troutdale, OR) (10/10/12)

Salvation of a Saint
I found this to be an unique mystery in that the focus isn't so much on "who" but rather "how." I enjoyed the interaction of the characters investigating the crime. This was my first time reading a book written by a Japanese author and I enjoyed the setting and style.
Debbie M. (grand junction, CO) (09/30/12)

Salvation of a Saint
Salvation of a Saint was a very engaging mystery. The characters drew you in and you wanted them all to be the good guy.
Every clue lead to a possible solution, but all were found not plausible. The final solution was a surprise.
I really enjoyed this mystery and look forward to others by Keigo Higashino.
Neil W. (Tavares, FL) (09/29/12)

Intriguing, Excellent Mystery
This is an intriguing novel that holds you in suspense until the end. It is well written and easy to read. An almost perfect murder was committed until Detective Kusanagi, his Assistant, Utsumi, and Physics Professor, Yukawa (former Detective Galileo) combine their talents and theories to solve the mystery. The title of the novel is a bit mysterious itself. Highly recommended.
Lisa R. (Salem, OR) (09/28/12)

Interesting Read
This was a new author to me, so I don't know any of the backstory for these characters, but it was entirely possible to read this book as a standalone. That said, I am going to look for the previous books, as I enjoyed the mystery, although I was fairly certain who the culprit was, although not how the crime took place, or even totally why until the end. The only thing that took me out of the story a little bit, is that it is fairly obvious (or was to me) that this story has been translated into English. The dialogue and phrasing are such that the language didn't quite flow as we expect it to in English. That said, I just reminded myself I was reading in subtitles! There was no bad language, no sex, and surprise, surprise, the story was still great. That is something I definitely appreciate sometimes, although I think we have become somewhat accustomed to that now. Overall I recommend this book, and will search out more by this author!
Lenni H. (Dallas, TX) (09/23/12)

It's All in the Water
Keigo Higashino has done it again. Last year his mystery The Devotion of Suspect X won praise and awards, as American readers were introduced to his Detective Galileo series. Now Salvation of a Saint presents an equally intriguing murder case. And like Devotion, this mystery begins by telling the reader who the murderer is and why it happened. The compulsion to keep reading comes from watching Detective Kusanagi and his new female assistant Utsumi, as they consult with physicist "Galileo" Yukawa to determine who poisoned the victim's water, and how. It seems to be a perfect crime, and the victim's wife is so perfect that Kusanagi begins to fall in love with her.
Translated from Japanese, the dialogue sounds formal to the American ear, but makes you aware of the foreignness of Tokyo, even in today's global culture. All the characters' emotions are far beneath the surface, but the reader comes to understand, and in most cases to sympathize, with complex people caught in a complex plot.
Arden A. (Lady Lake, FL) (09/22/12)

Another Intricate Murder
I was fortunate to have reviewed this author's prior book, "The Devotion of Suspect X," when it was offered for review two years ago. I am particularly happy to now have the chance to read and review this novel, as well.

The familiar characters are back with a new mystery. Detective Kusanagi and Yukawa, the physicist dubbed "Detective Galileo," are joined by junior detective Utsumi to solve a murder. Again, it is an intricate plot that unwinds slowly and methodically. Cultural differences abound, and perhaps those cultural issues contribute to the method and timing of the murder. In addition, the Japanese are exceedingly polite and civilized to suspects and witnesses alike during their investigations, very unlike what our police procedure reflects. The methodology of the police department itself adds further contrast to crime-solving in our country, as well as an additional level of enjoyment. It is a very well thought-out and well-written novel, an excellent read, and I enjoyed it even more than the first one.
Patricia B. (San Jose, CA) (09/21/12)

Salvation of Saint - Keigo Higashino
This was a quick easy read. However I felt that the killer's identity was pretty easy to figure out, however, it was harder to figure out how the crime was committed.

It was interesting to see how the detectives went about looking for evidence to indict or disprove who the killer is. Detectives Kusangi had made up his mind who he thought the killer was and was searching for a way to disprove Detective Utsumi's view of the person who was guilty. She is a new recruit and pretty clever for someone so new of the force. Of course the clever physics professor was the hero as he was able to figure out the with the help of Dective Utsemi.

The friction between Kusangi and professor Yukawa was a little off putting to me. Thought it detracted from the story.

Foreign detective stories seem to be "in" at the present time. For those who like to read mysteries should give it a try.
Paula W. (Winfield, IL) (09/19/12)

Coffee, Tea, or Milk?
This is the first book I've read by a Japanese author. So, to clear the air, I'd like to say that I had difficulty keeping track of the Japanese names---never exactly sure who were male and who were female. So this was more of a challenge to follow than I normally have. So that was one "star" down. The plot---murder, adultery, "the perfect crime"---and coffee---was interesting enough for me to persevere. I was glad I did---the ending made it all worthwhile. Reading a "police procedural" novel from Japan was a novel (!) experience. The characters--once I figured out who they were---were not very carefully described. (Perhaps this is one in a series where the reader would be expected to know the "back story" on the main dectectives already. I don't know.) But , as wise ones suggested to me( when I bogged down in reading the great Russian novels)----if you read this, write down the names (and gender!) and function of the characters and keep referring to it till you know who's who. I would have enjoyed the book more if I had done this. I would recommend this to mystery-lovers who would like to try "something different."

• Book Jacket: Hyde

1.  170The Weight of Blood:
    Laura McHugh
  2.  143Happier at Home:
    Gretchen Rubin

Read the best books first...

P Your O C