Read what people think about The Innocents by Francesca Segal, and write your own review.

By Francesca Segal

• Published in USA  Jun 2012,

There are currently 19 reader reviews for The Innocents

Barbara W. (Watertown, NY) (06/08/12)

Delicious!
A totally tasty read! The underlying connection to Edith Wharton's book enhanced the storyline as my mind kept making comparisons to characters and plot. The contemporary setting created a completely updated twist on Wharton's classic themes.
Tillie H. (Baltimore, MD) (06/06/12)

Just so-so
This book has an interesting storyline, but there is so much extraneous material in it that it became a chore to get through it. The plot intrigued me, but I just couldn't get through the entire thing because of how things moved so slowly.
Susan M. (Bloomfield Hills, MI) (05/31/12)

Tries but in the end...
This book peaked my interest by the second chapter and as I read I thought this might be a good book for my book group. Unfortunately midway through part 2 I began to doubt that this book would be a good book group book. Reading part 3 sealed the deal. Midway through part 2 the author throws in a family crisis which was vaguely foreshadowed on page 18, but never really explored. Part 3 was just a quick tying together of loose ends. I gave the book a 3 because I thought the writing was quite good and I found myself caring about the characters. Unfortunately the plot lines strayed and weakened. With additional editing and rewriting I would say that this book has strong potential.
Rosemary C. (Austin, TX) (05/30/12)

The Innocents
A well-done story about the contrast of the somewhat banal everyday, secure, familiar and predictable life with the exotic and unfamiliar that can create an almost irresistible draw. I thought this book a slow read at first, but I think that is what the author intended to exemplify the everyday life of Adam and the Jewish community in London. The pace picked up with the introduction of the forbidden cousin and Adam's strong attraction to her. The characters are well-developed and likable, and this reader could feel empathy for all of them. I could sense the almost claustrophobic atmosphere of the tight-knit community, but also appreciate its warmth, generosity and support. It's understandable that Adam would be drawn to an "outsider" so different from what he has known and it's interesting to read what choices he and those he is closest to make in a crisis. All in all, a satisfying book.
Pamela F. (Grants Pass, OR) (05/29/12)

The Innocents
For me this book was a slow starter. I think it was because I did not attach to the characters that much and that was a problem throughout for me. I enjoyed reading about the Jewish culture, but the characters kind of annoyed me. It was an interesting concept to take a classic and put it in today's world...I finished it, I didn't dislike it, but not one of my favorites.
Sarah B. (Streamwood, IL) (05/27/12)

The Innocents
An excellent retelling of an old favorite. I enjoyed the book very much, but found that I didn't like the three main characters very much. I suppose that shows how well written the book is. The framing of the story in the Jewish community added extra interest to me, as it was an interesting way to learn about customs and traditions that were new to me.
Lynn R. (Wautoma, WI) (05/26/12)

The Innocents
I enjoyed reading about different Jewish traditions and the different perspective of these traditions from the old and young. I really felt that the characters in the book were weak, I couldn't get an image in my mind of who they were and what they looked like. I feel this book could be good for book clubs that enjoy reading about different cultures and traditions. This was a book I could put down and then later have a hard time picking up.
Angelina A. (New York, NY) (05/21/12)

A nice twist on a classic
I am always cautious when reading a book that is a reworking of a classic. I always worry it will ruin the original but this book has so many merits. It doesn't stay glued to the original; it finds its own path in a very interesting cultural unit that I enjoyed reading and getting to know. I highly recommend it.

• Book Jacket: The Hundred-Year House
    The Hundred-Year House
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove