Read what people think about The Starboard Sea by Amber Dermont, and write your own review.

By Amber Dermont

• Published in USA  Jan 2013,

There are currently 26 reader reviews for The Starboard Sea

Lynn S. (Nokomis, FL) (02/26/12)

Familiar and Not
Very good writing...perfect book for those who only read a chapter or two a day. Though the story covers a period of time in which I lived, on the surface the story reflects a class of people and experiences foreign to my youth. The emotions portrayed, certainly not on the surface are universal. I don't consider myself a literary expert, but I keep thinking of the writing of Joyce Carol Oates. Amber Dermont is likely to bring us an extremely interesting set of characters over the next several years.
Darcy C. (San Diego, CA) (02/23/12)

Richer Isn't Always Better
I eagerly awaited this book and it did not disappoint. I love the genre of Preppy & Maladjusted & Karma Coming Around. One part of me wanted to really dislike these entitled rich kids, but the book was written so well that I really felt the emotions of Jason Prosper, the protagonist. He - for the most part - wanted to be a better person, but couldn't rise above the rich-kid-apathy in some areas of his life. I knew this was a good book because I couldn't wait to pick it up and find out what really DID happen to his love interest, Aidan. When it is revealed in the end of the story, I was not disappointed. I think Amber Dermont did a great job of closing the story and wrapping things up. This was truly an interesting and enjoyable book. I highly recommend it!!
Chris H. (Wauwatosa, WI) (02/21/12)

Starboard Sea
I found this novel to be a cookie cutter story of prep school boys from rich families gone bad. The story revolves around an individual who was kicked out of the "good" prep school and now attends the prep school for "bad" and troubled kids. Decisions are made, some are mistakes, kids learn, sometimes with life changing results. I'm afraid the best thing I can say is that the book kept me interested long enough to finish.
Glenda A. (Naples, FL) (02/21/12)

The Starboard Sea
Reading The Starboard Sea I had mixed emotions. The setting is interesting, the author does have a good flow to her writing, and there is excellent info about the ocean, sailing and racing. However, many nautical terms I did not always understand. The characters recklessness and rule breaking, treatment of others, drug abuse and privileged status, I had trouble relating to. Too many problems in the plot did not have conclusions or endings for me, left me wondering what was the story's message.
Laurie H. (Stuart, FL) (02/20/12)

The Ocean
What I love most about the ocean is that it can be both powerful and gentle, two sides of a coin. The same can be said about Amber Dermont's novel. Beautifully written with powerful and gentle characters, it is a great read.
Barbara O. (Maryland Heights, MO) (02/18/12)

Starboard Sea
A modern day "Catcher in the Rye", the story of a young man's journey to make sense of his life after a tragic incident. Jason Prosper finds others like himself in a new school his senior year. Their stories and Jason's innate decency lead the reader through a tale of teenage angst, tragedy and life in a prep school with a reputation for taking in kids kicked out of other private schools. A good read made even better for anyone with a love of sailing.
Bob S. (lawrenceburg, IN) (02/17/12)

Voyage to the heart of light
I am a fan of first books--I find so many authors, including Jan Smiley and John Grisham, poured their authentic life into their first books and never surpassed them. Even if Amber Dermont publishes nothing else, "The Starboard Sea" is a gift for us all. She explores the heart's search for love, for forgiveness, for belonging with all the pain, joy, grief, and exaltation that journey involves. Jason steps through great love, devastating losses, and exalting triumphs searching fort hat rare treasure, his true self--something for which we all long and which so often eludes us. I know this young man in my heart and soul--I find myself here, and thank Amber for the light she gives.
Joyce K. (Conway, Arkansas) (02/16/12)

The Starboard Sea
This story's setting begins by introducing us to the principal character Jason Prosper. He is entering into a new preparatory boarding school after being dismissed from another school despite his father's efforts to "bargain" for his retention. He has lost his best friend to suicide and is really struggling to deal with all the upheaval in his life.
The story deals with a number of themes of young adulthood including sexual conflict, fraility of relationships with both female and male friends, abuse of privilege and morality issues.
I enjoyed the book. I did not think it was a fast read but I thought it was a good read. I liked the way the story unfolded and was not bothered by it's occasional diversion.
My bookclub has read several first time authors. I think this book would be good for adult readers and young adults of mature age. Some of the themes would not be suitable for a young reader.

• Book Jacket: The Hundred-Year House
    The Hundred-Year House
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove