Read what people think about The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott, and write your own review.

The Dressmaker

By Kate Alcott

The Dressmaker

• Published in USA  Feb 2012,

There are currently 30 reader reviews for The Dressmaker

Martha L. (Warner, NH) (10/07/11)

very very hard to put down
A story about the Titanic with actual portions from the hearings held in the Senate does not sound at all interesting. Until you throw in real people who actually were on the ship. Until you throw in real people who faced huge challenges and dilemmas, head on. Until you realize how big business and having large amounts of money did indeed determine most of the outcomes. Until you meet Tess and Jim. They wanted honesty and truth in a world where money and influence are all-important. Good writing with young love, compromises, new chances and a girl trained to be a dressmaker all combined with the huge tragedy all lead to the book being interesting and very, very hard to put down!
Patricia H. (Norman, OK) (10/07/11)

Tragedy and Triumph
This would be a good read for teens as well as for adult women. Although not a romance story it is definitely a romantic story. The backdrop is tragic as the main characters are forced to examine their decisions, determine what is truth and live with the consequences.
Pepper E. (Lawrenceville, NJ) (10/06/11)

Enjoyable read
I receiver an Early Reviewer copy of this book.
I found The Dressmaker offered a fresh perspective from hundred year old history. The Dressmaker took me to a time and place I had not considered. I was surprised to think that among the Titanic's survivors might have been both heroes and goats. The characters and story were interesting, especially those based on actual court transcripts and newspapers. I liked seeing the timeline that included people from the world of fashion and the beginnings of the suffrage movement.
I may be the only person in America who never saw the movie, Titanic, but reading this novel has me wishing I knew more about the disaster and the people involved. While I cannot wholeheartedly recommend this book on its merits alone, I can say that I will be looking for more reading about the aftermath of the historic event.
Diana C. (Delray Beach, FL) (10/06/11)

First Class Historical Thriller
We all know the tragic story of the Titanic, but few of us have read the transcripts of the Senate hearings that took place immediately following the ship’s sinking. The author relies on those transcripts to set up her story, and what a story it is. Intermingled with supplementary human interest stories and fascinating history from the early 20th century, this telling of the Titanic disaster is truly edge-of-your-seat stuff. The breathtaking mistakes and miscalculations of the Titanic’s White Star Line will linger in your mind long after you have read the last page.
Virginia B. (Forest Park, IL) (10/06/11)

Great Read!!!
Loved this book from the start. I think anyone who has a fascination with the Titanic would really enjoy reading about the aftermath of the tragedy. Tess is a great character who has lots of spunk and desire to get what she really wants.
Rachel D. (Leominster, MA) (09/29/11)

The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott
This book is Historical Fiction at it's best. I received it yesterday and finished it today. I love a book I can't put down and this one kept me up till the wee hours. Tess is spunky, honest and daring. Not afraid to go after what she want's and that's to be a dressmaker.

• Book Jacket: The Hundred-Year House
    The Hundred-Year House
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove