Read what people think about Loose Diamonds by Amy Ephron, and write your own review.

...and other things I've lost (and found) along the way

By Amy Ephron

• Published in USA  Sep 2011,

There are currently 24 reader reviews for Loose Diamonds

Rachel B. (Waynetown, IN) (08/24/11)

Very nice concept, but did not follow through
I loved the idea of the book, and looked forward to reading it. However, like most of the other readers here I found the name-dropping and constant references to brand names extremely distracting and irritating. It would have been a quick read, except that I kept putting it down. It had it's moments of wit and some touching revelations, but overall I was extremely disappointed at the gap between what is described on the back cover, and what is actually written on the pages.
Brenda S. (Grand Rapids, MN) (08/22/11)

Fun and Unassuming
Loose Diamonds is a nice collection of stories that are important to the author, and most of them are interesting to the reader. I especially liked the Squeaky Fromme and filofax stories. It was like snooping into someone's diary without finding anything hurtful. The writing was easy to soak up, it helped that the stories stayed connected. Even though not every story was great, the overall experience made for a good summer read. Thank you Amy Ephron!
Janet P. (Spokane, WA) (08/16/11)

Things I've also lost and found along the way
Amy Ephron's new book of 18 essays brought chuckles and tears to me, a woman who had lived through similar times. I'm a mother of four, wisely divorced, happily remarried, a daughter of a mother who would never dream of putting a milk bottle on the table, and a somewhat ADD adult who loves to laugh at the absurdities of life. Amy Ephron fits my style perfectly. I've wobbled back and forth between a 4 and a 5 on this rating, basically because I think that someone who wants to read a writer who gets right to the point and who writes equally for males and females, might not like this book. But, what the heck...I loved it! Each essay was a story in and of itself, so it was perfect summer reading. I could read one while waiting outside the bank for my place in line and read another just before nodding off to sleep. In the end, I want to be friends with Amy Ephron, so doesn't that mean her book was a success?
Jinny K. (Fremont, CA) (08/13/11)

Yawning
I looked forward to this book being warm, witty and wise. I was disappointed on all fronts. I never really connected with any of the essays and stories. It reminded me of reading a five-year-old people magazine about folks I never heard of.
Probably would give it a 2 1/2 if possible.
Cathy W. (Rancho Palos Verdes, CA) (08/11/11)

Loose Diamonds...
Amy Ephron is an expert at articulating everyday life of the rich and privileged. I grew up in a wealthy suburb of Los Angeles and the essays brought back many memories of a different era. Although well written and enjoyable, overall it lacked substance and was somewhat disappointing.
Kristina K. (Glendale, CA) (08/06/11)

Loose Cubic Zirconia
The concept of "loose diamonds" is poetic, the idea of those loose moments in life that are either lost or found. The way that Ephron plays with the metaphor in the introduction works for the most part throughout this collection, but not all of her loose vignettes shine like diamonds. The first couple essays are poignant, but with others it seems that one must be an insider in Ephron's world to get some of her private allusions and inside jokes, just like there are things Ephron will mention cryptically and pointedly, then tell her reader, "I don't want to talk about that." I started feeling like I just didn't want to read anymore about that. But as a psychic, perhaps Ephron already knew this.
Melissa K. (Oviedo, Florida) (08/06/11)

Loose Diamonds
Ephron gives us a refreshing look at life. Amy Ephron gives us a glimpse into high society life in a way that is amusing and realistic. She brings to light that family and relationship issues reach cross all classes. I thoroughly enjoyed reading her account of the more innocent times of growing up in the 60's and coming of age in the 70's. It was a quick and enjoyable read, with some fabulous lines and language.
Catherine M. (Grand Forks, ND) (08/05/11)

Loose Diamonds
Loose Diamonds by Amy Ephron was a fun read. Like her sisters, Nora and Delia, she has a way of making just about any situation amusing as well as thought provoking. She does, however, give a great deal of white space to describing her expensive possessions--lost and found along the way--by their supercilious product names. I passed lightly over her descriptions, except for the Piaget watch. That I coveted.

• Book Jacket: The Hundred-Year House
    The Hundred-Year House
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove