Read what people think about Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward, and write your own review.

By Jesmyn Ward

• Published in USA  Sep 2011,

There are currently 20 reader reviews for Salvage the Bones

Judi S. (Boyes Hot Springs, CA) (07/24/11)

Salvage the Bones
Salvage the Bones blew through my life much like Hurricane Katrina roared through Bois Sauvage, Mississippi, and the lives of the Batiste family.
The day to day details of life for pregnant 14 year old Esch and her brothers are often brutal and difficult to read, but Ward's gorgeous writing and her ability to help us see through Esch's eyes and love with her heart make it worth the discomfort.
I adore a strong character-driven book and Savage the Bones is bursting with heroes! This would be a fantastic choice for a book group. Savage the Bones shines a light on one of America's greatest tragedies and gives a voice to some of it's most invisible inhabitants.
Jean G. (Rockford, IL) (07/23/11)

Salvage the Bones
This book was interesting enough to hold my attention but there was not enough depth to the characters to feel emotionally connected to the families' struggles. The prose style was overloaded with far out similes that did not help get to the heart of the story. Overall, a shallow slant on life in the time of Katrina but very readable because of a likable narrator. I did want to know how it ended. It would appeal to dog lovers.
Lee M. (Creve Coeur, MO) (07/16/11)

Katrina, better or worse?
In Salvage the Bones Esch, as narrator, describes her father, her four brothers, the dog China, and their preparation for the hurricane Katrina. She introduces us to Bois Savage, just about the meanest hovel in Louisiana and the day to day struggle to keep alive. Difficult to read, especially a vividly described dog fight, Jesmyn Ward makes you feel poverty and hopelessness.
Kelly P. (Monterey, TN) (07/12/11)

A captivating tale
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The setting and the language immerse the reader in the life of a poor Mississippi family in the days leading up to Hurricane Katrina. While Hurricane Katrina lurks in the background it is not the focal point of the novel. Instead the plot revolves around the characters and how their own decisions, and the decisions of their loved ones, impacts their lives. The writing style is reminiscent of other Southern authors such as William Gay, Larry Brown and Tom Franklin which is high praise in my opinion.
Darra W. (Walnut Creek, CA) (07/09/11)

Category 5 storm; category 3 reaction
On one hand, I admired this gritty novel for the voice of its narrator (the pregnant, 14-year-old Eshe), the unusual setting, and the device of the slowly and ominously building plot that so closely mimicked the movement of Katrina in the Gulf. On the other hand, I felt too distanced from the action to say that I LIKED it. The author's shortcoming or mine? Couldn't say. I'm simply disappointed that I couldn't abandon myself more readily to a story with such powerful potential.
Beth T. (Savannah, GA) (07/05/11)

Gritty and Beautifully Wrought
This is an amazing book. It's not for the faint of heart or overly sensitive. The subject matter is hard to get through sometimes, but the author's writing is so beautiful and poetic that it somehow softens the hard edges of harsh reality and helps the reader become immersed in the characters and their story. I found myself caring about these people and what happened to them, and wasn't ready to put the book down when I turned the last page. Ms. West's is a unique and powerful voice in Southern fiction and I recommend "Salvage the Bones" as a very good read.
Donna Oregon (07/01/11)

Salvage the bones
I looked forward to reading this book. I felt the topic was one that I would enjoy,but I was very disappointed. The writing was disjointed and the story lagged. None of the characters drew me to them and if they had I might have had a different reaction to the book. I am sure I was also unable to identify the dog fighting emphasis in the story.
Mary Lou F. (Naples, FL) (06/30/11)

Getting Along
Jesmyn Ward has a wonderful way of using words to describe situations. You can feel the action of the dog fights and, again, during the scary moments of Hurricane Katrina. This book shows that when the chips are down, a dysfunctional family comes together to help each other during a horrific storm -- Hurricane Katrina.

• Book Jacket: Take This Man
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...

Tomlinson Hill