Read what people think about Low Town by Daniel Polansky, and write your own review.

By Daniel Polansky

• Published in USA  Aug 2011,

There are currently 23 reader reviews for Low Town

Linda W. (Riverview, Florida) (07/02/11)

A great read! Daniel Polansky I am a fan!
Daniel Polansky has created a dark, gritty place filled with demons, magic, murder and treachery. He also creates characters; some menacing some complicated; all interesting and multilayerd. You care about the central characters and want them to rise above it all. I hope this will be the first of many novels to come from Mr Polansky. I am a fan.
Lenora C. (Altoona, FL) (06/28/11)

Low Town
Good descriptions. Interesting plot. I was there in Low Town. But I just didn't enjoy my visit. Perhaps Mr. Polansky's next effort will be more worth the visit.
WDH ( FL) (06/28/11)

Descriptive / Characters Need More Development
First thought - Interesting concept that lacked overall cohesiveness. The locations and people were described very well. However, there is an underlying storyline that is alluded to but left unexplored, leaving a lot of 'why' questions and the feeling that the storyline / characters could have been more fully developed to really draw the reader in. Also thought it was a bit slow to get started although it picked up towards the middle.
Kim E. (Warrenton, va) (06/20/11)

Left me with too many questions
The mystery was solid, the atmosphere was very detailed and vibrant. However, I kept waiting for the author to explain the details and the back story. How did the protagonist end up a drug dealer? The story is alluded to, but never explained. I left the story feeling unfulfilled and wondering if I had missed the explanations or if I was just supposed to accept Lowtown as presented. I wanted to like the former cop turned drug dealer, but I seemed to crave some explanation as to why he ended up running LowTown? All in all, it was interesting but I can't say I would strongly recommend this book.
Vicky S. (Torrance, CA) (06/15/11)

Great Descriptions
The author does a great job of describing the environment and I could feel that I was there while reading the story. I liked the mixture of fantasy, adventure, relationships and mystery though the writing felt a bit affected at times.
Maggie R. (Canoga Park, CA) (06/14/11)

Low Town
Elements that are interesting combine with others that are not so well developed. The result is a promising first novel by an author whose imagination should produce more consistent works over time.
Steve B. (Spring, TX) (06/10/11)

Low Rating for Low Town
I am definitely not an expert capable of evaluating literature of this genre. I am able to decide that this novel does not appeal to me. I had a hard time following the story line, probably a result of my lack of enthusiasm for a story that has a drug dealer as its hero and is set in a time and place with which I cannot relate.

I know this is David Polansky’s first novel and I wish I could enthusiastically praise his effort but I cannot.
William Y. (Lynchburg, VA) (06/09/11)

Review: Low Town -- Daniel Polansky
Tales about apocalyptic futures, parallel universes, and alternative histories, have gained considerable popularity over the last several years. Some come across as imaginative and well-written, others appeal to adolescent fantasies, and still others clutter up book racks. Unfortunately, Low Town leans strongly to the last category. A loner named Warden lives in this dark, dreary place, a setting straight out of the pulp fiction of the 1920s and 1930s, except that it bears only superficial resemblances to anything recognizable.
A rambling, shambling plot that quickly grows tiresome, along with awkward constructions, neologisms, and transitions that will try even a patient reader, reveal a lack of consistency and craft in Polansky's writing.
Given the usual high quality of Brookbrowse selections, this title served as a letdown. Since Low Town is presented as a debut novel, perhaps Polansky will redeem himself in future efforts.

Mrs. Hemingway