Read what people think about The Things We Cherished by Pam Jenoff, and write your own review.

By Pam Jenoff

• Published in USA  Jul 2011,

There are currently 22 reader reviews for The Things We Cherished

Patty S. (Towson, MD) (06/14/11)

Not enough of what I expected
Pam Jenoff has used a handmade anniversary clock to move this story through time. It was an interesting way to bring the characters together, though it was a little confusing, at first. I want to have liked this book more than I did. I found the romance distracting from the story I really wanted to read. Charlotte was an interesting character, when she wasn’t rehashing her previous relationship with Jack’s brother.

There is so much historical fiction from this time period that it’s hard to shed new light on it. Jenoff comes very close to doing so by focusing on the possible war crimes of the defendant in the case, but she lost some of the momentum with me by spending too much time trying to write a romance novel at the same time.
Marlys D. (Grand Rapids, MI) (06/09/11)

The Things We Cherished
I found this book very engaging. The back-and-forth between present-day and the past, and the tracking of the clock through history were well done and held my interest throughout. I did think there could have been a bit more historical background in the "past" chapters (for instance, details of what happened to Johann's wife) but I did like following the clock's travels. Some of the characters could have been developed a bit more as well, but overall I found it a good read if not particularly deep. I think it would make a pretty good "beach read" because it isn't too long or detailed--easy to pick up/put down without losing the thread of the story & characters.
Beth (USA) (05/29/11)

The Things We Cherished
I selected this book because I love historical fiction, and I particularly enjoy things set in WWII. However, while I did like the book, it was not a "must read" for me, mostly because the romance aspect is predominant, as opposed to the historical narrative. From the synopsis, I expected more in the way of courtroom and suspense elements. To be fair, I don't tend to read fiction with a strong romance component, so I am probably not the right audience for this one.

The book was very well-written, and the story was engrossing. I just expected something different.
Sandra M. (Valparaiso, IN) (05/26/11)

The Things We Cherished
The Things We Cherished is a powerful reminder of horrific war tragedies and the stories of those who survived and those who did not. (I recently read Sarah's Key and this novel complimented that reading experience.)

The one thing that confused me was the changing character narration, time period and location of each new chapter. I had to stop and really think about who each character was and the context in which I knew him/her since things jumped from 1903 through 2009, with numerous stops in between.

The Things We Cherished is a good read and I recommend it.
Leslie, Richmond Memorial Library, Batavia, NY (05/26/11)

The Things We Cherished
Perhaps expectation set my standards too high, as I've been wanting to read Jenoff's books for ages. I found this book to be ok for a quick summer read. The plot was interesting, but the characters were kind of flat, and I wanted to be "convinced" more of their feelings rather than told. Lots of cliches in the writing also bothered me, but I will certainly try another of her books.
Linda Z. (Corydon, IN) Crawford Co. Library (05/26/11)

The Things We Cherished
This book should appeal to both women and men who are interested in World War II, the Holocaust and would also appeal to mystery lovers. I had read two previous books by the author and enjoyed both. The moral dilemma was very interesting. Was Roger right or wrong in what he did or is there no easy answer? I intend to read other books by this author.
Betty T. (Warner Robins, Georgia) (05/25/11)

Love Triangles
I enjoyed the book even though the story is not all that deep. The two love triangles somewhat mirror each other -- two brothers in love with the same woman. Neither story gets very deep. After all, the book is only 286 pages. It was sometimes hard to grab the thread of the story when it bounced into the past. But the sentimentality of the story saved it. The clock ties the chapters from the past together. Overall, I enjoyed it.
Gee (Troutdale, OR) (05/25/11)

The Things We Cherished
This was a marvelous story spanning many years and locations. It is the story of two attorneys who while working to defend a man against charges of war crimes during the Holocaust find themselves falling in love. The accused is the brother of a man who was deemed a hero during the time. It's the story of their mutual love for the same woman and the significance of an anniversary clock. The book is part love story, mystery and historical fiction.

• Book Jacket: Gemini
    Gemini
    by Carol Cassella
  • Book Jacket: The Goldfinch
    The Goldfinch
    by Donna Tartt
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction.

Her canvas is vast. To frame a story about art, love and ...
  • Book Jacket: Toms River
    Toms River
    by Dan Fagin
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for Nonfiction

In Toms River, investigative journalist Dan Fagin ...

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zevin

Published Apr. 2014

1.  143Happier at Home:
    Gretchen Rubin
  2.  170The Weight of Blood:
    Laura McHugh

When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.

P Your O C