Read what people think about A Simple Act of Gratitude by John Kralik, and write your own review.

A Simple Act of Gratitude

How Learning to Say Thank You Changed My Life

By John Kralik

A Simple Act of Gratitude

• Published in USA  Dec 2011,

There are currently 21 reader reviews for A Simple Act of Gratitude

Vicki H. (Greenwood Village, CO) (04/25/11)

Ode to the Thank You Note
Though at an ebb-tide moment in life, attorney John Kralik commits to focusing on things for which he can be thankful. The result is“365 Thank Yous: The Year a Simple Act of Daily Gratitude Changed My Life”, a book that encourages “pass it on” acts of kindness. This is a book you can digest in small bites – each short chapter recounts how a particular thank-you note resonated through the author’s life (and often, the recipient’s).
Though I am already an adequate thank-you writer, the book has inspired me to stock up on cards and reinvigorate my own Daily Gratitude campaign, and I suspect it will spark everyone who reads it to do the same. It’s a 200-page paean to the thank you note … a celebration of the way gratitude transforms us.
Kimberly A. (Hannibal, MO) (04/22/11)

The Nudge
Experiencing the downward spiral of both his personal and professional life, author John Kralik finds it difficult to appreciate all that he does have. He even admits that he often misspells the word "grateful," possibly because he uses it too infrequently. Trying to climb out of the doldrums of his life, he commits to writing a thank you note each day for a year. As a self-betterment plan, the book's focus, being more appreciative and humble, is an admirable one. Indeed, this author, by his own judgment, becomes a better person and experienced an up-swing in his life because of the notes. It is truly heart-warming to read of his renewed and strengthened relationships and his career successes. Even though the book lacks, in my opinion, a "Wow" effect, it may be the nudge needed to write--not email--more thank you notes for kind and thoughtful acts as well as gifts. It was a quick, pleasant, and action-provoking book.
Cynthia S. (Rensselaer, NY) (04/22/11)

365 Thank Yous
John Kralik's 365 Thank yous reminds the reader that gratitude just takes a little time to tell someone who has touched your life "Thank You".

What a simple gesture! Imagine a book group. church group or simply a group of friends sharing events that sometime seem mundane with a heartfelt appreciation.

Kralik in sharing his year of struggles made me realize that feeling gratitude for the simple everyday interactions can put a positive spin on life.

Thank you Bookbrowse for providing this forum.
Claudia S. (Elmhurst, IL) (04/22/11)

Inspiring
I enjoyed "365 Thank Yous." The author, John Kralik, is an attorney at a low point in his life. He makes a goal for himself to write 365 thank you notes within the next year. Gradually, he finds himself focusing on the good things in his life instead of the bad. It's somewhat like the idea of a gratitude journal that he is sharing with the other people in his life. I was raised to always send a nice "thank you" after each birthday and holiday and I am doing the same with my children. But as adults, most of us, myself included, lose touch with this idea. I'm going to start again. Thanking people seems to be a simple act but as John Kralik realizes, it goes a long way.
Toni, Librarian in WV (04/17/11)

Simple Acts
Author Kralik is fifty-three, forty pounds overweight, and his professional and personal relationships are bordering on disaster. He turns his life around by focusing on what is good in his life instead of wallowing in the negative. Kralik’s writing is choppy and unorganized but his sincerity is clearly visible and he reveals a certain sweetness that makes the reader happy for his emerging success. If you are looking for motivation to send those thank you notes you’ve been avoiding, read this for inspiration. They might change your life.
Erica M. (Chicago, IL) (04/17/11)

As a lawyer myself, who has struggled through the challenges of the financial meltdown, and watched family, friends and clients, do the same, I assumed I would relate to what Judge Kralik had to say, based on the description of the book. I wasn't expecting a book that was so hard to put down. It was more than a memoir and more than an inspirational book. I am convinced that we all have to struggle in order to appreciate the goodness in our lives - and Kralik truly got to the heart of that philosophy. I found him even-handed about his analysis of himself and others and approached his challenges with an attitude of this is what I did, not, this is what YOU should do. But even in that, he inspires. I found the statement of ideals for running his law firm to be consistent with the way he ran his life and wrote his thank yous. The book was an extremely pleasant surprise.
Helen S. (Sun City West, AZ) (04/16/11)

Powerful Reminder
John Kralik's personal story clearly shows the transforming power of saying "thank you." As I read 365 Thank Yous, I was moved by the gradual improvement of his family and professional relationships and his financial situation. Incredibly, these significant changes were the result of simply writing thank you notes!

I recommend this easy-to-read true story to readers of all ages, but especially to young people, who may not know the importance of acknowledging gifts, favors, and kindness with a heart-felt thank you note.
Karen G. (Oakland, CA) (04/16/11)

365 Thank Yous by John Kralik Inspires
I was enriched and inspired to write my own 365 Thank Yous while reading this book during a weekend. The expression of humble gratitude, acknowledgment, affirmation and appreciation of the action of others in his life enables the author to look at the goodness in his life and renews faith in the human spirit. The simple action of hand writing a brief note of thanks is uplifting for both the writer and the reader of the note and reminds me that the expression of gratitude is a deepening investment in self and others and highlights the richness of human relationships. I want everyone to read this sweet book!

The Search