Read what people think about The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino, and write your own review.

The Devotion of Suspect X

By Keigo Higashino

The Devotion of Suspect X

• Published in USA  Feb 2011,

There are currently 23 reader reviews for The Devotion of Suspect X

Anna S. (Sayville, NY) (01/05/11)

An atmospheric thriller....
The Devotion of Suspect X is certainly not your run-of-the-mill thriller. I have to admit at first I found the premise a little far fetched, however by the time I was 50 pages into the story I was hopelessly hooked. Intelligent characters and plenty of twists and turns to keep even the jaded thriller fan happy.
Lisa E. (Cincinnati, OH) (01/04/11)

Battle of Wits
The plot of this novel strains credulity even more than most mysteries, but I still found it compelling. This is a Japanese novel in translation, and the elements of Japanese culture, as contrasted with American culture, that affect the plot are interesting. Also, all three of the major characters--our murderer; her devoted neighbor, our "Suspect X"; and a scientist who helps the police--are sympathetic and believable. We learn right away who killed our victim and why; it is how the murder is covered up and how the police are led astray that provide the mystery.
Wendy R. (Riverside, CA) (01/04/11)

Great Mystery
The novel is engaging and fast paced--not to mention a great puzzle. It's not often I don't see the end coming in crime fiction, but I honestly had no idea what to expect as the events unfolded in "The Devotion of Suspect X". Seeing the two geniuses at work, both Yukawa and Ishigami, as one tried to solve the crime and the other to hide it, I was reminded a bit of Sherlock Holmes.
Rebecca J. (Knoxville, TN) (01/01/11)

The devotion of suspect X
I love foreign mysteries and have read several Japanese ones so I was anxious to review this one. It did not disappoint. Very Hitchcockian in the way you saw what was coming and slowly but surely your worst fears were realized. The book was a great example of unwavering devotion going too far! The characters' names get a bit hard to keep straight but definitely worth the effort.
Katherine S. (seaford, VA) (12/30/10)

What we do for love
Like a math problem itself, two geniuses are pitted against each other as one tries to hide a murder, while the other tries to solve it. Starting somewhat slowly, I quickly found myself jumping ahead worrying how the characters would end up. It resolves only at the very end.
Neil W. (Tavares, FL) (12/29/10)

Mediocre
I found this Japanese mystery to be mediocre. The plot had some unusual twists and turns but it was not an easy book to stay interested in. I do not think the characters were sufficiently developed to really understand any of them. Perhaps the cultural differences were the true obstacle. The ending was unsatisfactory. I would not recommend it.
Laureen S. (Aurora, IL) (12/26/10)

Not What I Expected
After reading about this author's success in Japan and the premise of the novel, I was looking forward to reading The Devotion of Suspect X. I was disappointed though in the pace of the novel and in the development of the characters. I am not sure if this is the author's writing or the translation, but whichever I struggled to finish the book. Additionally, the ending fell short of what I would have hoped for this novel - the plot is a good one if the writing had equaled it.
Norman G. (Diamond Bar, CA) (12/26/10)

Enjoyable read
The Devotion of Suspect X is a quick read, but has interesting and likable characters to lead the storyline. The ending differed from the expected and proved a little hard to accept by American values, but the workings of a foreign culture make the book a notch above regular crime detection. The development of the lead villain/hero made the book work for me. I have recommended the novel to two others who found it a worthwhile read and spoke highly of their experience

The Search