Read what people think about A Lonely Death by Charles Todd, and write your own review.

An Inspector Ian Rutledge Mystery

By Charles Todd

• Published in USA  Jan 2011,

There are currently 31 reader reviews for A Lonely Death

Chris G. (New Albany, Ohio) (11/12/10)

Good tale kept me guessing.
"A Lonely Death" by Charles Todd was my first introduction to Ian Rutledge. I was a little worried that I would not like the book at first as it is a little slow in the beginning but if you stick with it I promise you will not be disappointed.

Although this was my first Rutledge read, I did not feel that I had missed out on a ton of back story and was easily able to follow along.

Don't be put off by my rating of 4 as opposed to 5 stars. The story was very good and it kept me turning the pages - once I got over that little hump in the beginning. Had it not been for that, I would have given the book a 5.

I am pleased enough to go pick up some of the previous Ian Rutledge books and get caught up. Definitely pick up a copy of this one if you get a chance...Rutledge, a cozy fire and a cup of hot chocolate or a glass of wine could make for a very good weekend!
Carrol Ann S. (Ventura, CA) (11/11/10)

A Lonely Death
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, my introduction to the Charles Todd mysteries. Scotland Yard Inspector Ian Rutledge is so real and likable, clever and determined in his detective work all while dealing with his own demons from his World War I experience.

Who is murdering the soldiers trying to put their lives together after surviving the hell of war? And why them, who is next? Inspector Rutledge must dig deep to puzzle out the answer, for his reputation is in the balance.

I want to see more of the inspector so will be hunting up the previous Charles Todd mysteries.
Terri H. (Battle Ground, Washington) (11/11/10)

A Lonely Death
Charles Todd's latest novel was a little slow to start, but quickly turned into a roller coaster ride through the English countryside.

Filled with all the twists and turns and dead ends a good murder mystery provides along with a touch of unrequited love. You won't be disappointed!
Pamela S. (Winnetka, CA) (11/09/10)

A Lonely Death
This is the first book I have read of An Inspector Ian Rutledge Mystery. I thought it was very interesting & kept my attention. The characters were well developed & you learn to like or dislike them with all their faults. It's an enjoyable read. I would like to read the books in the series.
Anne M. (Austin, TX) (11/09/10)

Excellent mystery
Although this mystery is quite far along in the Inspector Ian Rutledge series, it can be enjoyed as a stand-alone novel -- although some background knowledge of the detective does help.

The setting is rural England, post-Great War Rutledge is a shell-shocked veteran, and three men -- all veterans -- have been murdered. It's interesting to see how Rutledge manages to solve the mystery without today's technology (he has to go to another village to use the phone, and of course DNA is not even a pipe dream yet), but also to see how little English country life has changed in almost a century.

I highly recommend this book and can't wait to dig in to other Rutledge novels!
Vicky R. (Cumming, GA) (11/08/10)

Interesting subject matter
A Lonely Death is my first Ian Rutledge read, and the author did a great job of writing it to stand alone. While it didn't rate 5 Stars with me, it was interesting and kept my attention. A tad slow in the beginning but I love an author who keeps me guessing, and this one did not fail. I liked it enough to now go back and start at the beginning of Ian Rutledge's history, which is intriguing and unsettling. This one is worth your time.
Juliet F. (clarendon hills, IL) (11/08/10)

best one of the series
This book delivers the pace, plot, characters, and atmospherics typical of the series, which I love. But even better, it casts 2 contemporary themes- PTSD and school bullying- very effectively into the historical context of post-WW1 England. It's very well done, and a great read to boot!
Randi H. (Bronx, NY) (11/08/10)

A Lonely Death
A Lonely Death was an entertaining mystery. The writing was excellent and kept me reading even after I'd figured out the "whodunit" before the end. And there was a secondary plot with a surprise twist at the end that was unexpected, if a bit far-fetched. This was the first Inspector Rutledge mystery I've read, and I found it enjoyable. I did not feel that I was missing any key information from not having read other books in the series. I was intrigued enough by Inspector Rutledge and some of the other characters that I plan to seek out the other books in the series.

• Book Jacket: The Hundred-Year House
    The Hundred-Year House
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove