Read what people think about The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, and write your own review.

By Suzanne Collins

• Published in USA  Sep 2008,
    Age range: Young Adult

There are currently 21 reader reviews for The Hunger Games

lar10019 (03/22/14)

Great read!
The Hunger Games is an action filled fiction novel that is a real attention getter. It is filled with action and adventure, keeping you from wanting to put the book down. The story takes place in Panem, which consists of 12 districts called to fight against each other. When Katniss’ sister, Prim, is called to fight for their district, Katniss bravely steps in for her to keep her sister safe. With such a bold move, there is nothing left to do but to fight. This book is a great read for all ages, young and old. Anyone looking for a thrill that you can immerse yourself in, this is the book and series for you. You’ll find yourself relating with the characters and sympathizing with them as they go through their trials and adventures. While this book keeps you constantly intrigued, it definitely plays on your heart strings. With love, family and friendship as strong underlying themes, you’ll find yourself emotionally invested in this book along with each character. With many relatable topics yet unique plots, this book is easily a great recommendation for anyone looking for a fun book to read! “May the odds be ever in your favor.”
Suzanne G. (09/08/12)

The best
What can I say? This book is as all others have said. Simply great!
Siera (07/04/12)

Reading 110
I feel that the most powerful element in the book The Hunger Games is the compassion and devotion that the main character, Katniss, has for her friends and loved ones. At first you see this just within her family. After the death of her father she takes on full responsibility of her mother and younger sister, always making sure that they are fed and cared for even before herself. When her sister Prim is called as a tribute for the Hunger Games, Katniss steps in to take her place therefore putting her own life at risk. During the Hunger Games one particular bond she forms really shows her compassion and love for her fellow man.

(Edited for plot spoilers)

I thought that the author of The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins, did an amazing job writing this book. I would absolutely love to read more books written by her. She wrote the book is such a way that you are always hooked and just can’t bring yourself to put the book down. While some books, even good ones, have parts that get dull or boring, you never encounter that in The Hunger Games. While it’s true that you may never be in the scenarios that the characters face, the author still makes the characters relatable. Whether you relate to wanting to protect a younger sibling or you relate more to feeling powerless against the government, somewhere along the lines you will encounter someone or something that you can relate to.

I enjoy that although The Hunger Games is strictly fiction, the author makes the setting seem almost tangible by stating that “the city of Panem was once a place called North America.” I rather have a real life place to reference rather than a completely fabricated place. A lot of the book focuses on the government of Panem and the control they have of all the citizens and, although not nearly as extreme, you can compare it to how many American citizens feel about our own government. This is just one real life issue that the author takes and puts into her book. It’s a heartfelt, sad, but powerful story of a true survivor. Suzanne Collins is truly an excellent author and I fully intend to read more books by her including the next two books of The Hunger Games Trilogy. Not only do I recommend this author to others but even more so this particular book. It touches on family dynamics, on love, on hardships, violence, humanity, rebellion, and anything else you could ask for all in one book.
Peyton (06/17/12)

Amazing, simply amazing.
Suzanne (04/20/12)

and--I'm not a young adult (age range)
I bought this for my granddaughters (10 and 16) and figured I "need to read a few pages in case it might not be suitable." Ho, ho I couldn't put it down and finished it about 6 hours. This is one excellent book. The hype is valid. This story will be a favorite of mine. 'Course, now I have two more books to buy as soon as possible, not only for me, but for granddaughters as well!
Becky Dodd (04/07/12)

All Consuming!
Where do I begin???!!!
I rarely read books that are surrounded by this much "hype." I had no intention of reading it, I did not like the sound of the premise: teenage warriors fighting each other to the death for food? NOT my cup of tea. So I ordered a 'sample' on my kindle and was TOTALLY hooked after the first page. KRAZY! This was absolutely like nothing I've ever read. It was completely all consuming! I COULD NOT stop reading it, and you better have all three if you want to get ANY sleep at all. I will say that this book and the next one are better than the last book, however, I loved the ending!
I can say, now that I've met Katniss Everdeen I will NEVER be the same! This series has changed me forever. BRAVO!
Chelsie (11/11/11)

Awesome!!!!
Can I just say amazing!!! I really don’t like reading books because it is hard and I’m a really slow reader. However, when I read The Hunger Games I could not put it down. I have had friends try to convince me to read The Hunger Games, but I have never had time. When I finally went out and bought The Hunger Games, I started reading it as soon as I got home. Between spare time at home and time between classes I had completed it within 3 days. That is the fastest I have ever read a book in my life! The suspense through the book just kept me reading. Every time I ended a chapter I wanted to start the next one.
The story line is like nothing I have ever read before. I found the idea very original. Writing a story about a society of people who are forced to basically sacrifice their children once a year because they tried to take over the government years before is brilliant! Now if you don’t like violence I wouldn’t read this book because it gets pretty intense at times, but it’s not so bad that I personally would worry too much.
The main character Katniss Everdeen is such a good example of a woman you can look up to. She is put into the most extraordinary circumstances and she does not let it get to her. She takes what she is given and goes with it. The book starts off with a normal day and you think this will be just another normal book, but that soon changes. Within the first chapter you find out that you came in on the worst day of the year for this poor young girl and everyone else in the community. This is the day that everyone in this nation has to put their children into the national lottery that decides if they are going to the Hunger Games. The Hunger Games are a tournament in which a boy and a girl from each of this nation's 13 districts are put in a arena and are told to fight to the death. The only way you leave is if you are dead or the last one standing.
The Hunger Games is a book about overcoming trials, standing up for what you believe in and that good will always overcome evil. The only thing I don’t like about The Hunger Games is the ending. It left me wanting more and I don’t have time to go read the 2nd book. I would highly suggest this book and that you read it now instead of after the movie comes out in March! Take my advice and read this wonderful book.
Karen (09/04/11)

Couldn't put the book down!
I read all three from the Hunger Game Trilogy. It was a fast read and I learned to love the characters. Don't want to spoil it, but I loved "the boy with the bread." She writes in a way that pulls you in the story and allows you to feel as if you are there, in the story.

• Book Jacket: Hyde
    by Carol Cassella

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zevin

Published Apr. 2014

Most of us who turn to any subject we love remember some morning or evening hour when...

P Your O C