Read what people think about Man in the Woods by Scott Spencer, and write your own review.

By Scott Spencer

• Published in USA  Sep 2010,

There are currently 28 reader reviews for Man in the Woods

William B. (East Peoria, IL) (08/09/10)

Man's Best Friend
Spencer is always a dependable read. His latest is no exception. The ambiguous ending will be great for book club discussions. The author's observations and wit, his compassion are two of my favorite things about his writing. I enjoyed the plots central conflict because I'm afraid I would have acted the same as the protagonist.
Shawna L. (Idaho Falls, Idaho) (08/05/10)

Man in the Woods by Scott Spencer
The acclaimed author of 'Endless Love' and 'A Ship Made of Paper' delivers a gripping and provocative psychological thriller of morality and manhood, choice and fate. Paul has been on his own since he was a teenager. He has done it all, hunted for food in Alaska, fought forest fires, and been deputized in a manhunt for a kidnapper in South Dakota. He has often thought his life had no particular rhyme nor reason, touched only by transient strangers. Then he meets the beautiful, intelligent, loving Kate and her daughter, Ruby, who offer order and stability to his world. But Paul is a man of deep convictions, and the compromises we all make to get along in the world elude him. On his way home after getting fired from his job remodeling a luxurious Manhattan apartment, Paul stops off at a camp grounds along the highway to gather his thoughts. Instead of peace, he finds a man savagely beating his dog, forcing Paul to make a fateful decision that will change everything.

With the psychological acuity and razor-sharp prose for which he has been celebrated. Scott Spence takes us on an unforgettable journey of manhood lost, and found.
Nicole B. (New York, New York) (08/04/10)

As a first-timer with this author I was thoroughly impressed...
This was my first foray into Scott Spencer and I was really impressed with the strength and finesse of the writing that was on display in each page of this novel. Amazingly nuanced characterizations, and the taut and suspenseful plot examining morality, anger, impulse decisions and faith kept me riveted throughout. Scot deftly examines the intricate decisions, responsibilities and compromises which comprise family life and the lengths to which people will go when comfort and security are threatened. The intense psychological suspense was hard to bear (in the best way!) and I read the book with the distractingly delicious feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Cathy R. (Scottsdale, AZ) (08/02/10)

God or fate?
Man in the Woods is a well-written story involving God and/or fate - the characters are developed through their morality and their dialogue is at times inspiring or heartwarming but always deep and articulate. I loved the writing style of the author, his poetic descriptions and bits of humor. The story is thought provoking in the simplest of ways - how our lives change by the smallest decisions we make daily.
Connie H. (Evanston, IL) (07/31/10)

What Makes the Man?
Paul, a self sufficient artist, and Kate, a Christian author and inspirational speaker, seem to complete one another and provide a refuge for Kate’s daughter Ruby. But a moment of crisis threatens their happiness. Scott Spencer imagines authentic characters reacting to a disastrous moment of violence. Spencer’s writing is visceral, sensitive and thought provoking.
Bill L. (Hilliard, OH) (07/29/10)

Man in the Woods
Overall, I really liked Man in the Woods. It started out strong, fell a little flat in the middle & came back strong in the end. It's a good book that I enjoyed but wish it would have had more bite. I read more mystery novels so it was a little more difficult to stay involved in the plot. If Mr Spencer has a follow up to this book, I would be interested in following the story. It did leave me wanting more.
UrbanReader (07/27/10)

A Perfect Book
Like other books around, Man in the Woods is the story of a killing and its aftermath. But here the suspense is terrific because the people and what they do and why they do it (or don't) is always completely true to life. The writing is beautiful (without being pretty) and the pacing is quick and the cop is amazing and, yeah, the dog rocks.
Janet M. (Aiken, SC) (07/27/10)

Man in the Woods
Probably from the time I learned how to read I was taught that if you had NOTHING nice to say...don't say anything at all. Therefore.. I am saying NOTHING!

• Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove