Read what people think about Death Echo by Elizabeth Lowell, and write your own review.

• Published in USA  Jun 2010,

There are currently 25 reader reviews for Death Echo

Julia H. (Excelsior, MN) (06/25/10)

Death Echo
I enjoyed this book, my first by Lowell. The two main characters, Emma Cross, a member of St. Kilda’s (an org. made up of a lot of ex CIA types) and Mac Durand, a boat captain (and also a former military man) were good matches for the exciting scenes aboard a yacht in the Pacific Northwest. I particularly liked how well-written some of the action scenes were, from the waves and powering the yacht against them, to the actual villains of the story! The short, quick chapters were a perfect way to propel the action for Lowell’s Death Echo thriller.
Priscilla B. (Marietta, GA) (06/25/10)

Unfortunately
I love a mystery and am not overly fussy about how well they are written. Unfortunately, even my lowish standards were not met in Death Echo.
The premise was never well explained or developed. The sexual “chemistry” between the main characters was distracting and bizarre given the situation. In all a disappointing read.

If you love sailing and the waters of the Pacific Northwest you might enjoy parts of the book. Otherwise, give it a miss.
Rosemary T. (San Antonio, TX) (06/23/10)

Death Echo
Death Echo is an entertaining read if you are a lover of international espionage. For the most part the plot moves at a fast pace with well developed main characters. Unfortunately, I can't say that for most of the other characters. Often I felt I was missing a crucial point, especially with the various agencies involved. This book definitely makes you aware of one more way America is vulnerable to terrorists.
Mary D. (Claremont, CA) (06/19/10)

Death Echo
Essentially, for me - a hard-core suspense/thriller/espionage reader - this book leaned more towards a suspense-chick lit book. There was a bit too much focus on the sexual tension between the protagonists and not quite enough on the global espionage aspects, where there was a lot of potential which could have been developed to a much higher degree. It was a fairly good read, but I would put it more in the category of a summer beach read, fast-moving and high personal tension. The two main characters were fairly well-developed, but the "minor" characters, particularly the "bad guys" were somewhat lacking in depth and background.
Melissa W. (Maryville, TN) (06/15/10)

At least it was free
The beginning was a little slow, then it got interesting and suspenseful, then it got slow, then it got interesting. I suppose a bit like a boat ride in calm then rough waters. I found it hard to believe the main characters, Emma & Mac, were so "into" each other so quickly. At times, the story was hard to follow, and there is a lot of government & yachting jargon that a lot of people won't understand. After a few chapters of their sexual tension/innuendos, it became old hat and I wanted to scream "enough already!" It appears that the characters of Faroe and his wife Grace have a back story. If Elizabeth Lowell has a book based on their story, that's one I'd be interested in!
Robin F. (Tucson, AZ) (06/15/10)

death echo
Any Elizabeth Lowell fan has to be thrilled to see a new book available. Death Echo continues with the St. Kilda's 'family', along with several twists. It's always good to have some romance thrown in at the same time. Lowell has a wonderful imagination. However, this is not the most suspenseful Lowell book I've read, and, as a fan, I look forward to her next book.
Pam C. (Hooked on Books, CA) (06/15/10)

Poolside Read
I was very excited to get this book because I am a fan of Elizabeth Lowell. However, although a pleasant read for sitting by the pool, Lowell has better reads. Most of her series about St. Kilda Consulting are suspenseful but this one lacks that sense of suspense. Having said all this, I would recommend it for a summer read especially for someone who enjoys boating and the Pacific Northwest.
Jill M. (Petaluma, CA) (06/15/10)

Death Echo
I thoroughly enjoyed Elizabeth Lowell's Death Echo. The highly skilled operatives, the romantic tension and the suspense are even more fun with the dynamic of the ships and yachts and boats. Dealing with the power of the ocean and operating in storms in darkness while dodging debris captured my interest. I think this is a greatly enjoyable read for an individual, but probably not meaty enough for book club discussion.

• Book Jacket: The Hundred-Year House
    The Hundred-Year House
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove