Read what people think about A Thread of Sky by Deanna Fei, and write your own review.

By Deanna Fei

• Published in USA  Apr 2010,

There are currently 20 reader reviews for A Thread of Sky

Lisa B. (Denton, TX) (04/22/10)

Loosely woven threads
I really enjoyed the book and thought it was well written and the characters were well developed. It reminded me a lot of an Amy Tan book, as other reviews have mentioned. The relationships between all the women in the book read so much like real life.

I think the book could have been improved by cutting out the rambling thoughts and preachy internal dialogue. It slowed the pace of the book and slowed down my reading. I found myself quickly skimming those sections so that I could get to the real meat of the story.

Overall, I think it was definitely worth reading and I have been suggesting it to my friends.
Carole A. (Denver, CO) (04/22/10)

The beauty of this book is the journey!
A Thread of Sky was well written about three generations of Chinese women and their journey together - and alone. This novel could have been about three generations of women in any family. While part of the same family or a single thread they all have their own journey that has changed them and taken them apart. The beauty of this book is the hanging on to that single thread which is family. Descriptions of China through different eyes was an interesting background. Bravo to Fei - may she continue to write and grow!
Tricia L. (Auburn, WA) (04/19/10)

It was interesting, but wasn't enough to make me go wow.
I was so looking forward to reading this book because a dear friend just was in China. I have to say her emails about the culture and what she experienced were more engaging. I did not connect with the story in a meaningful way, but I did enjoy it. I love to read, but this one won't be read again.
Kate S. (arvada, CO) (04/18/10)

Unraveled Threads
I was anxious to read this book because I thought the subject had so much potential. It was not a bad read; not a great one either. I felt like all the characters were too similar in that they were all unsatisfied, and unfulfilled with their lives. I could not identify with, or really have empathy with any of them. The writing was also average. I felt like I was reading a first time author. With so many exceptional books in the market this is one that I would not recommend for my book club.
Lou M. (kennebunkport, maine) (04/15/10)

A First Novel! Are you sure?
Not a book I would think to purchase; a book I enjoyed reading.
Another good example of how reviewing books has broadened my reading horizons. This is a terrific first novel because: Ms Fei has presented the story in a very professional, well organized manner; because, through flashbacks,
she has described cultural and national changes and how they have affected the lives of three generations. Although the story takes place in China and is about Chinese Americans, it could be about any family with immigrant antecedents. i liked that. She emphasized human beings, not a country. I am an old guy who was an early tourist (1979) when China was first opening to foreigners. There are many stories to tell, but suffice it to say that the cultural changes Fei describes and her comments about the various national movements are succinct and well done. This is a good book club book. i will recommend it to the group I lead.
Myra B. (corvallis, oregon) (04/14/10)

A thread of Sky by Deanna Fei
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The interwoven relationships between the women is what I found most appealing. Five women from three generations in very different places in their lives travel to China to reconnect to each other. Through their travels, many family secrets come to light. Sharing the secrets brings these women closer together and more understanding of each others lives.
Deborah P. (Dunnellon, FL) (04/14/10)

A Thread of Sky
This is the author's first novel. The theme revolves around an extended Chinese-American family trying to reconnect. The one departure from the usual is a family vacation to China. I wonder why the author set the story in China because the narrative lacked any in depth description of the Chinese culture or it's many natural wonders. It was not a page turner for me.
Suzanne G. (Tucson, AZ) (04/12/10)

Just OK
This book didn't keep my interest. I feel it to be superficial and hard to understand the whys and why-fors. It took rereading sections, yet I still had trouble getting everything straight. Such a shame for me; I'd looked so foreword to reading it. An Amy Tan? Not!

The Search