Read what people think about The Last Time I Saw You by Elizabeth Berg, and write your own review.

The Last Time I Saw You

By Elizabeth Berg

The Last Time I Saw You

• Published in USA  Apr 2010,

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Last Time I Saw You

Amanda (08/19/11)

New Reader of Berg
This was my second Elizabeth Berg novel, my first having been Once Upon a Time There Was You. While I did enjoy reading this one, I was surprised at the level and frequency of profanity in comparison to Once Upon a Time There Was You. I think had that been toned down a bit, I would have enjoyed the book more and found the characters more endearing. I'm not sure which book is more reflective of the "norm" for Elizabeth Berg and I do intend to read more of her novels; I will likely read them all if I find the majority to be more in line with Once Upon a Time There Was You.

I agree with the statement in the review by Sidney Frost regarding more follow-up on the characters before the book ended. The ending seemed almost abrupt, but wasn't unsatisfying.

Overall, I found pleasure in the book and would recommend it to others. I expect to find myself becoming a fan of Elizabeth Berg.
Arienne (06/08/10)

could not put it down
I laughed and cried reading this book. Elizabeth Berg really understands human nature. I am coming upon my 25th high school reunion, and I could totally relate to the characters. I felt like I knew and had known the characters during high school. I highly recommend this book.
Sidney W. Frost (05/09/10)

She Knows What She is Talking About
Elizabeth Berg's novel, The Last Time I Saw You, is about a fortieth high-school reunion as told through the eyes of several different people planning for the reunion, attending the reunion, and then what happens afterwards. I read the Kindle version. There were a few typos since it is just out, and, since it is easy to change font sizes, I find more run on words than in printed books.

Dorothy Shauman, the high-school beauty, now divorced and having a difficult time being alone and with her grown daughter, sees the reunion as a chance to get back together with chief jock Pete Decker. But Pete is having problems of his own. He still has his good looks, but he finds he is with a woman he doesn't like or respect. He wants his wife back, but she has decided to move on.

Lester Hessenpfeffer, the school nerd and valedictorian, is now a successful veterinarian. However, since his wife died, he fears he will never find love again. His office manager talks him into attending the reunion even though he would rather stay home and take care of his patients. Mary Alice Mayhew was never part of the in crowd, and doesn't know why she should go to the reunion. But she's curious about how her classmates turned out. She's been helping care for an elderly neighbor who decides she should go to the reunion and he goes with her.

Candy Sullivan, a high-school beauty, has just learned she has ovarian cancer. Her husband has all but ignored her for years and now he is concerned about her and offers to go to the reunion with her even though he refused to before they knew how serious her illness was. She goes without him.

The author did an excellent job writing in the various points of view. In one place, she partially repeated a scene to show it from another characters viewpoint. The story is about what happens when these characters and their friends and classmates get together again. Elizabeth Berg was born in 1948 and that makes her eligible to have attended a fortieth high school reunion. Since I've been to my fiftieth reunion, I know she is talking from experience. It was a wonderful experience reading this book while thinking about my own reunion. I just wish there had been more follow up on the characters before the book ended. But it was just enough to let us know what happened. I guess I wasn't ready to say goodbye to my new friends.

• Book Jacket: Shotgun Lovesongs
    by Carol Cassella
  • Book Jacket: The Goldfinch
    The Goldfinch
    by Donna Tartt
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction.

Her canvas is vast. To frame a story about art, love and ...

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zevin

Published Apr. 2014

1.  143Happier at Home:
    Gretchen Rubin
  2.  254Cartwheel:
    Jennifer duBois

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign...

P Your O C