Read what people think about Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran, and write your own review.

By Michelle Moran

• Published in USA  Sep 2009,

There are currently 17 reader reviews for Cleopatra's Daughter

Barbara S. (Kalamazoo, MI) (08/30/09)

Cleopatra's Daughter
I’ve always been interested in Kleopatra (as she spelled her own name) and I’ve read at least one book about her, but I didn’t remember a daughter, so I was quite excited to get this book. I wasn’t disappointed.

Opening with the end of Kleopatra’s life and ending with Kleopatra’s daughter’s marriage, this book imagines what life would have been like for Kleopatra Selene, called Selene, in the years after her mother and father’s deaths.

Octavian takes Selene and her twin brother, Alexander, to his own court and they are treated as part of his extended family. They go to school, they make friends, they create lives for themselves.

If you’re a fan of historical fiction, you will find a lot to like about Cleopatra’s Daughter. Michelle Moran does a great job of making ancient Rome seem real and modern, while also maintaining its historical perspective.

There are similarities between ancient Rome and modern day United States that she points out in the Historical Note at the end, so you’ll definitely want to read that. For those of you who aren’t familiar with Kleopatra and ancient Roman history, she also includes an Afterword that fills you in on what happened to the rest of the characters after the end of the book.

I don’t rate that many books a 5, but I’d give this one a 5. I am going to get the author’s other books next. I can’t wait to see how she handles the life of Nefertiti.

• Book Jacket: The Hundred-Year House
    The Hundred-Year House
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove