Read what people think about Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran, and write your own review.

By Michelle Moran

• Published in USA  Sep 2009,

There are currently 17 reader reviews for Cleopatra's Daughter

Connie (MI) (09/14/09)

Cleopatra's Daughter
This book is the story of the lives of Cleopatra's children after her death. Being a fan of historical fiction, especially this time period, I was really looking forward to reading this book and was not disappointed. I have already recommended it to friends and look forward to reading this author's other books.
Christine S. (Highland, UT) (09/12/09)

Great Read!
I enjoyed this historical novel very much. I had little knowledge about Cleopatra's children and each page was an education. Entertaining throughout, the story it told was never boring. The list of characters in the front was a big help, along with the glossary of Greek/Roman terms. I would have had a very different review without these most valuable help guides. The author thought of everything - including getting me very interested in learning more about this ancient time period. Loved the ending!
Elizabeth H. (Walnut Creek, CA) (09/10/09)

Cleopatra's Daughter
Once again, as in Nefertiti, Michelle Moran brings ancient history to life. This story is told by Selene, Cleopatra's daughter. It starts with the defeat of Marc Antony's army in Egypt, and takes us to Rome where Selene and her brother Alexander are taken as captives. The culture of Rome at that time is brought vividly to life. Through Selene's eyes, we see what it was like to be a young person growing up in the household of Octavia, Octavian's sister. It was a time of danger and intrigue. I couldn't put this book down.
Maggie P. (Redmond, WA) (09/09/09)

Historical fiction at it's finest
Michelle Moran is a very clever writer. Her use in this book of a first person point of view gives the reader a more intimate feel of the story. I would recommend this book to any one. The book has just enough history to keep it interesting and not bore you with too much information. Michelle Moran did a great job writing the book and I know you'll enjoy it.
Patricia S. (Chicago, IL) (09/08/09)

Cleopatra's Daughter
Set in the years immediately following Queen Cleopatra's death, this book follows her daughter and surviving son through the twisting politics of early Imperial Rome. Impressive characterization and settings add to the attraction of an underused time period for historical novels.
Martha L. (Warner, NH) (09/04/09)

Selene, the princess of Egpt
This is a great read if you enjoy historical fiction from ancient times or if you have ever wondered about living in Rome.The main character, Selene was Cleopatra's daughter. MIchelle Moran used actual facts woven into the story seamlessly.

Cleopatra and Marc Anthony had children together. After Egypt was invaded two of those children, Selene and her twin brother Alexander were captured and brought back to Rome. The story revolves around the years 30-25 BC and is told from Selene's viewpoint.

Selene's life as a captive in a foreign court is fascinating.The story line was mixed with with facts and incredible details from research on that time period. The lives of the senators and the ruler Octavian was filled with intrigue and constantly changing loyalties. The plot and subplots and twists were one of the strong features of the book. The book read easily.
Valerie C. (Chico, CA) (09/01/09)

An Engaging Tale
Cleopatra's Daughter is an engaging tale of the life of Selene and her brother Alexander after the death of her mother, Cleopatra, and Marc Anthony. There are great insights into Roman life during this time, as well as informative history.
Pamela S. (Winnetka, CA) (08/31/09)

Interesting reading.
I enjoyed reading Cleopatra's Daughter. It was easy to read. I learned more about life in Rome and about Egypt. I kept forgetting that Selene & Alexander were not even teenagers yet when they went to Rome, Even though they were more mature at eleven than I was, there were still times that showed how young they were. It was interesting to see life through their eyes.

Mrs. Hemingway