Read what people think about While My Sister Sleeps by Barbara Delinsky, and write your own review.

By Barbara Delinsky

• Published in USA  Feb 2009,

There are currently 18 reader reviews for While My Sister Sleeps

Sandra (12/12/08)

While My Sister Sleeps
I thought this was just a fair read, nothing extraordinary. Something in the style, story telling, and character building, left me wanting and expecting more. It did, however, bring up many issues and observations worthy of discussion.

The book, for me, raised many questions….How do we connect as a family? How does any sibling get over being in the shadow of another? Is resentment a common thread that runs through families? How does one deal with a controlling parent? When should a secret be revealed, if ever? Is the truth always the best way to deal with issues? When and how should we determine to end a life? How do we feel about organ donation?

This book shows how people react differently in times of crisis. It shows how letting go is the most unbelievable heartbreaking thing to do. It confirms that emotions can play a major part in every decision we make in life. It lets us see how we often can take care of plants and animals, yet do not know how to nurture and foster relationships in our own lives.

I think that this book will start the wheels going, a mile a minute,in everyone’s mind. I know that my mind was consumed with many questions about my own decision making and family relationships.
Linda (12/11/08)

While My Sister Slept
This book I definitely could not put down. I started it after lunch and finished it at 11 PM the same day.How a family reacts to an unexpected emergency and faces the difficult decisions affecting everyone certainly held my interest. It makes me wonder how I would handle a similar situation. It really made me think! I will certainly be reading other books by this author and I could see it stimulating quite a discussion for a book club. As a retired librarian and a county library board member, I am always looking for interesting books to recommend.
Christine (12/11/08)

Thought Provoking
I read for two reasons. One for entertainment, to escape reality and be transported to a different time and place. I also enjoy reading books that provoke thought. "While My Sister Sleeps" was such a book. My first thought I had while reading was I that I need to tell my family what to do in case I can not speak for myself. My second thought was how would I react if I had a family member in Robin's situation.
Barbara (12/11/08)

While My Sister Sleeps by Barbara Delinsky
I liked the book right away as it held my interest. It dealt with medical ethics,sibling rivalry,and unfortunately one night stands and pregnancy. I would recommend this to my friends to read. It had a lot of info on both subjects and lately everyone has secrets in their closets. I give it a 5.
Lori (12/09/08)

How can she sleep with so much talking?
During what could potentially be a fascinating story about a nightmare-scenario crisis in the Snow family, the author repeatedly throws an attention-deficit plagued dialogue at the reader. Although the plot was compelling and I had no trouble sticking with the book until the end - with few exceptions, the characters never felt complete. It is an easy and forgettable read which I would recommend only if you are seeking shallow treatment of a very compelling situation.
Kathy (12/09/08)

Non-stop Page Turner
Another great read from Barbara Delinsky! I had difficulty putting this book down once I started. I was completely drawn into the life of Molly Snow and wanted the story to continue on past the final page. I can see several themes in this book that would make for compelling book club discussion.
Linda (12/08/08)

This Book is a Winner!
I was drawn into the lives of the Snow family from page one. The storyline was fascinating - but, it was the character of Molly which kept me fascinated. She loved her family - including her sister, Robin who was an Olympic-level runner. However, Molly's self-doubts were all based on the idea that she was second best in the eyes of her mother. Throughout the book we meet other characters who let us know exactly how wrong Molly was about being second best. Right up to the final page, this book made me happy and content to continue reading about this family. It was "comfort" food to me. I had never read anything by Barbara Delinsky before but I certainly will now. I highly recommend this compelling and emotion-filled book to anyone!!!
Doris (12/08/08)

While My Sister Sleeps
The first few chapters of this book are so depressing I almost didn't finish reading it. Because I don't like to give up on a book, I continued and am glad I did.
There are many surprising twists in the plot as the reader gets to know more of each family member.

This book is a good, quick read which you won't soon forget.

Mrs. Hemingway