Read what people think about The Marriage of True Minds by Stephen Evans, and write your own review.

By Stephen Evans

• Published in USA  May 2008,

There are currently 16 reader reviews for The Marriage of True Minds

Anna (02/28/08)

The Marriage of True Minds
I found this to be a quick and enjoyable, although not great, read. The characters are quirky and interesting -- some of the 'minor' characters really flesh the story out -- but it remains at heart a fairly simple love story. There are some interesting legal and psychological issues that could be explored in a book club setting but, for the most part, the book is more likely to be of interest to individuals rather than groups.
Melissa (02/26/08)

Make a great sitcom!
I really don’t like to give poor book reviews and frankly this isn’t really a poor storyline, it just would be a better screenplay than a novel. The novel does have a good message about animal adoption and no-kill shelters, though it took awhile to get to the message. The characters are very one-dimensional; at best we get a one line description of their clothing or a brief mention of their hairstyle, but not enough to be able to formulate a complete character picture. Some of the dialogues make no sense (i.e. Nick & Oscar at the lake) and while they are often incredibly witty, the comedic wit would be better suited for a visual performance than a novel. I would love to see some of Evans original works on film or stage!!
Carolyn (02/21/08)

So-so read
I really liked the premise of this book, so I was surprised when I didn't like the book itself. I love books with humor, but found things like the puppet just sort of stupid. The ideas were great, but this just wasn't for me.
Donna (02/18/08)

I laughed. I cried. I'll read it again.
Evans has created a perfectly limned representation of a flailing two-headed, multi-armed creature struggling to reign in the mercurial insanity of Nick Ward and Lena Grant’s relationship. They’re divorced, they’re ex-law partners, they’re still in love and their love has made them both more than a little crazy. None of that takes anything away from this witty, clever and charming little story. Indeed, it’s all the better because of the insanity.
Ann (02/15/08)

Is Nick Really Crazy?
This funny and touching novel will have you laughing one minute and questioning your definition of "crazy" the next. With witty dialogue and unforgettable characters including a puppet and a soon-to-be-euthanized wolfhound, Evans has crafted a book about a partnership that survives in spite of all odds. Animal lovers will especially be charmed by Nick's strategy in saving the animals in the shelter.
Rachelle (02/14/08)

Charming read
The Marriage of True Minds was a fantastic treat - filled with humor, quick-wit, and a hand puppet named Sancho there was plenty in this book to love. At just under 200 pages it was a quick read that showed that sometimes the definition of insanity is love.
Arden (02/14/08)

Repartee at its finest
Stephen Evans is, among other things, a playwright, and that talent is evident here. Reading this book brings to mind, at least to someone of my generation, Nick and Nora Charles engaged in witty exchanges, and their ever-present schnauser, Asta (The Thin Man). In this tale, though, Nick and Nora become Nick and Lena, both attorneys, (one sane, the other's sanity is for the reader to decide), and Asta becomes a puppet named Sancho. Other real animals play an important role in the story, particularly a large dog named Wolfram. The fairly short book (180 pages) is an engaging, entertaining read and would make a great Disney movie, though the too sophisticated dialog may need to be downplayed a tad for that audience. For this audience, though, the dialog makes the read.
Angelina (02/13/08)

True Minds?
Parts of this book were absolutely sweet and a few of the characters were incredibly lovable. One of the main characters didn't resonate so much for me but it didn't detract from my appreciation of the novel. I recommend it if you like to see different ideas of love and relationships.

• Book Jacket: The Promise