Reader reviews and comments on Sea Glass, plus links to write your own review.

Sea Glass

By Anita Shreve

Sea Glass

• Hardcover: Apr 2002,
    Paperback: Nov 2002,

There are currently 11 reader reviews for Sea Glass

liezle (01/19/06)

A Shreve Fan
This is the third book of Anita's that I've read and she does not disappoint! Immediately, my favorite character was McDermott. I so clearly imagine that guy who plays the doctor from Beyond Borders, Clive Owen playing McDermott. The deaf thing really did not turn me off at all. it just added to the charm of the book. Another thing that probably hits home to me is the kind of marriage that Sexton and Honora had. That is exactly my parent's marriage! And I think most marriages are like that. Too practical to think about love. Shreve's subtlety in describing emotional scenes conveys more than the obvious soap-operatic, melodramatic moments some authors tend to use.
chris (11/11/04)

Very shallow. utterly forgettable characters.
Laura (06/02/04)

A wonderfully told story of relationships between husband and wife, between friends, and among family. The novel gives a well-balanced human insight into life during the depression.
shelly (09/06/03)

I thought it was completely wonderful. It was moving and profound in parts, and yet the simplist statement of life. She has a way of stating the little things that you don't notice from day to day. I would recommend this to anyone.
Hilary (08/18/03)

An excellent read - particularly if on holiday at the beach. The characters are beautifully drawn and you have interesting historical details entwined with a yearning love story and an adolescent boy flourishing under the care of a mixed bag of friends. Because you care about the characters and the interplay between them, the book pulls you on and I read it in a day, leaving me thirsty for more! Perhaps in an effort to extend the life of the story, I began to hunt for sea glass myself, and although I never found a red piece like Honora did, I am now hooked.
poohbear (05/31/03)

Anita Shreve has once again written a multi-layered book. While focusing on the marraige between Honora and Sexton, we get a glimpse into the new england textile mills, the last days before th e stock market crash and a look at early union organizing. One gets a sense of the times and the way people lived. The hopes, dreams, and failures that come with living.

I had trouble putting this book down - and I hope that a continuation is in the works.
Julia (05/26/03)

I´m from austria and 15 years old.
It was a real good read. I couldn´t understand a lot of word, but I could understand the sense of the book and it was excellent.
Melissa Brady (05/23/03)

This is such a good read. As you read, you see the story from each characters point of view. I found myself really feeling for these characters, a great quality in all of Shreve's books. After figuring out that this is part of a trilogy everything really came together for me.

• Book Jacket: Take This Man
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...

Tomlinson Hill