Reader reviews and comments on A False Sense of Well Being, plus links to write your own review.

A False Sense of Well Being

By Jeanne Braselton

A False Sense of Well Being

• Hardcover: Oct 2001,
    Paperback: Oct 2002,

There are currently 2 reader reviews for A False Sense of Well Being

Kim Stalling (07/12/04)

I so agree with Mary Sullivan on her review of this book. My friend recommended the book and even said it reminded her of a book the two of us would write, so I jumped in with much enthusiasm only to be sorely disappointed.
"Dull" is the perfect description for the text. I kept waiting for something to happen to the main character - something worth reading about. The character comes across as a spoiled, lost soul who really has very few problems in her life. The issues she tries to overcome will seem somewhat petty and unimportant to any reader who has ever had to deal with any type of real problem. I just never developed any sort of bond with the character that made me want to find out what became of her.

Like Ms. Sullivan, I, too, had great difficulty making it through the text. However, I did read the book in its entirety and the ending is somewhat moving. I also appreciated the occasional humor throughout the book; therefore I felt the rating of 2 out of 5 was more appropriate.
Mary R Sullivan (01/23/04)

I found this book dull, unbelievable, and depressing. The main character is shallow and the others are unsympathetic
caricatures. I kept reading it with the hope that it would get better, that the dialogue would become less stilted and
affected, that the plot would at least become somewhat intriguing, . . . but it didn't happen. Every time I managed to
get through another 20 pages, I'd put it down feeling as if I'd eaten something bad. About 3/4 of the way through the
book, I could not bring myself to pick it up one more time.

Some reviewers apparently liked this book and I can't, for the life of me, figure why. I wonder what else is on their book
list?

by Carol Cassella
  • Book Jacket: The Goldfinch
    The Goldfinch
    by Donna Tartt
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction.

Her canvas is vast. To frame a story about art, love and ...

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zevin

Published Apr. 2014

1.  254Cartwheel:
    Jennifer duBois
  2.  143Happier at Home:
    Gretchen Rubin

Show me the books he loves and I shall know the man...

P Your O C