Reader reviews and comments on Cane River, plus links to write your own review.

Cane River

By Lalita Tademy

Cane River

• Hardcover: Apr 2001,
    Paperback: Apr 2002,

There are currently 18 reader reviews for Cane River

Achowalogen (12/26/13)

Author Agenda and Historical Misinformation
Lalita Tademy used the pages of this work as a forum for presenting her progenitors as "tragic mulattoes," carefully presenting their male "companions" as men taking advantage of their "possessions." To cover her tracks, Tademy chose to leave out dates to allow researchers to reconstruct her "search" which also included the changing to names to fit her agenda. Even a work of fiction based on fact should have validity for recreating the truth behind the fiction.
Louise J (04/18/12)

Riveting Family Saga
CANE RIVER covers 137 years of Lalita Tademy’s family’s history, written as fiction, but deeply rooted in years of research historical fact, and family lore. It is a family saga that covers four generations of women born into slavery and searching for freedom. Every time I read a story like this I am utterly outraged at the treatment that these people endured. CANE RIVER was a riveting read and one I will surely tell friends about.
Chris (02/20/12)

CANE RIVER
A must read!!. I am left in awe at the way the author put a historical story of the Louisiana French&Black (now African American) women they used & loved. The loyalty to children by the non-husband-father and, of course, the mothers. Seldom do we read about the 'plantations' in that settlement of the USA. The other reviews say it well. But I must also encourage everyone to pickup this book. Note: I read it on CD - making it really come to life w/the French/Creole dialect.
Bishop Roy Fuller (10/12/10)

Cane Rive
Love this book. She should make a movie next.
Bo Walker (09/17/10)

Awesome is an understatement!
This book is awesome; I was unable to put it down until I finished. This saga is so true of many of our ancestors who overcame tremendous obstacles and injustices to build legacies from which we benefit. The author did a great job relating the family's story, the unique strength of each woman, and incorporating many of the cultural nuances of the slavery era. It showed that racism comes in many colors, as well as the power of hope and perseverance. I highly recommend it.
Candi (02/02/10)

Created a Reader out of me
I rarely read anything before this. Years ago I picked this one up and couldn't put it down. It changed me into a book nut. It was a wonderful read and thoroughly delicious, sad to put it down. Now I can't get through the bookstore in less than an hour. Always hoping to find another with this much power. Yes, it has indeed created a reader out of me.
Lindsey (01/07/10)

Incredible
This is by far the best book I've ever read. It was told beautifully. This book could have gone on forever in my opinion, from the first few pages I was hooked. This author went through so much going back through her family line, learning, and understanding where she came from and about her family. What really put this book into perspective for me were the true pictures and scans of old documents, letters, newspaper articles. It was absolutely wonderful. This is as real as it gets. I loved it.
Bonfils (11/19/05)

From the mother Land
Cane River traces the history of brave women who struggled during the slavery. These four women achhieved some wonderful works to preserve their independence, freedom, rights, etc... Lalita wrote so well that i wanted to read to book over and over. Being from africa, this book reminds me some of tough conditions that womens endured in africa after being traded, mistreated back in the time..

• Book Jacket: The Promise