Reader reviews and comments on Back When We Were Grownups, plus links to write your own review.

Back When We Were Grownups

By Anne Tyler

Back When We Were Grownups

• Hardcover: May 2001,
    Paperback: Apr 2002,

There are currently 8 reader reviews for Back When We Were Grownups

Jenna (05/08/06)

Interesting
I enjoyed the book. I read it for a school project, and I am happy that I chose this book. Tyler made the story come to life. I felt that I was right there standing next to her throughout the whole book. I coudn't wait to find out what would happen next. It was a bit confusing with all of the unusual names, especially because Tyler threw out so many different and unusual names just in the first few pages of the novel. Other than that, I though that it was a great novel!
Anonymous (02/13/05)

The first chapter I thought I would never remember who everyone was, there were too many characters all thrown in at once - but after that I like the book but did hope for a happy ending.
Once upon a time (11/21/04)

This is a wonderful book!!! Like many of Anne Tylers books it is not a piece of literature that requires a happy ending. Instead it is very real and very true to what would be considered "the real world". Truelly beautiful writing. I found this book to be sweet, funny and yes sad. Critics may say that not enough was explained, that facts were left out, but I believe it fits quite nicely. Allowing the reader to imagine up just enough on their own. botton line of the book: We don't always end up where we think we will, Happiness is not always black and white. I have read many books. The first line of this work is my favorite line of all time, truelly.....Once upon a time, there was a women who discovered she had turned into the wrong person.
yota (09/26/04)

i got the impression that not even once did the book dive in depth in the heroine's phychosynthesis; it rather brought into light the frustration of a middle-aged woman about to reconsider her life without giving the reader the chance either to sympathise with her over her decisions as a youth or empathise with her final resolution not to choose her old love. the book consumed quite a lot of pages describing in detail the gatherings of the family or the parties while the reader could very well do with a little more preoccupation with the central figure's anxieties and their source, her aspirations and hopes.
Kat (03/31/03)

I just recently became aware of Anne Tyler as an author because of a year long study thesis on her. I've been rigorously reading her books and I must say that this book is my favorite. It truly depicts the talents of Tyler and the depths of the characters she creates. I would definitely recommend it to anyone and everyone.
Karmina (01/14/03)

I personally thought that this book was terrific. It taught me the true value of families, freinds, and everyone around me. It had a great meaning to it and i hope some of you guys get to read it soon. you'll enjoy it!
Catherine (10/31/02)

I loved this book. One of Anne Tyler's best. The reader is immediately swept into Rebecca's life in much the same way as Rebecca herself is suddenly encompassed by the Davitch family. I like a novel where you are involved. I felt connected to the characters, especially Beck, and also the fact that the questions posed are universal ones and easily relate to your own life. It doesn't have a neat ending and you are left wondering what the next phase of Rebecca's life will be. I also enjoyed the way the house itself was somewhat a reflection of Rebecca; warm, welcoming, slightly dishevelled and in need of constant vigilance to keep it in good repair.
If you enjoyed Anne Tyler's other novels you will certainly enjoy this one. If you are looking for plot and action then this is not the book for you.
lo (06/09/02)

I thought this book was really intresting. aftre the first teo chapter i was really into the book. I definetly reccomend it!!!!

• Book Jacket: Shotgun Lovesongs
    by Carol Cassella
  • Book Jacket: The Goldfinch
    The Goldfinch
    by Donna Tartt
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction.

Her canvas is vast. To frame a story about art, love and ...

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zevin

Published Apr. 2014

1.  170The Weight of Blood:
    Laura McHugh
  2.  143Happier at Home:
    Gretchen Rubin

When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.

P Your O C