Reader reviews and comments on In My Hands, plus links to write your own review.

Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer

By Irene Gut Opdyke

• Hardcover: Aug 1999,
    Paperback: Apr 2001,

There are currently 41 reader reviews for In My Hands

Lexie (07/15/11)

Forced yet Enjoyed
For my summer reading this year for going into 11th grade I was forced to read this book. At first I was SO not looking forward to it. It seems that when you are forced to read a book you never enjoy it. However, that is not how I felt here. I started reading the book and I was instantly hooked! There was literally one part of the book that my mouth dropped open and I had to throw the book off to the side. I think I enjoy this even more because it was a true story. Made me very grateful for my life. I would LOVE to make an impact on people's lives as much as Irene did! I would recomend this book to upperclassmen in High School and too Young Adults! It really was a pleasure reading it! :)
Zach (04/17/11)

AWESOME!
We are reading this book for our literature circles in our ELA class. Very striking story, really makes you feel you are in the war yourself!
ihavealife (12/31/09)

I love this book!
I am in 9th grade and after reading this book, I have noticed that everyone can make a difference. I think that everyone should read this book and rethink the Holocaust and what it did to everyone. It made me think that everything can be reached one step at a time.
Apryl C. Flint (11/25/08)

In my Hands
This happens to be one of my favorite books to read. Although I don't recomend it to 7th graders, I highly recomend it to 9th graders and older. If you are interested in biographies, especially during WWII, then this is definitely the book for you.
Kim (02/03/08)

Amazing
This wonderful book tells the story of a girl growing up in a horrible period in time. Filled with action and a touching story, anyone would enjoy reading this book. Irene is truly a hero. Five Stars.
Andrea Thomas (01/10/08)

Irene gut opdyke
I read this book for my 11th grade class and I absolutely adored it. The struggles and loss she deal with has made me realize that tomorrow is never promised to anyone. I think it is amazing and should be read by anyone that wants an experience of love and fighting for your right to live.
Joseph Puccio (06/01/07)

In My Hands
(This is a complete book review I wrote)

“You must understand that I did not become a resistance fighter, a smuggler of Jews, a defier of the Secret Service and the Nazis all at once. One’s first step is always small: I had begun by hiding food under a fence.” Irene Gut was only seventeen when the war began. And as it progressed, she was parted from her four sisters and parents. And so she began to fight back. After being captured and interrogated many times by the Russians and Nazi’s, she was forced to work for German officers in a dinning hall. Irene eavesdropped on the Nazi’s plans, and passed the information to the Jews in the ghetto. She smuggled people from a near by work camp into the forest, saving countless lives. And when she was made housekeeper of a Nazi major, she successfully hid twelve Jews in the basement of his home until the Germans defeat. And throughout the book, she would always put her friends safety, before her own. And finally when the war was over she was given hope, someone to love and trust, but soon after they were killed by the Nazi soldiers. Nevertheless, continued risking her life, for what was right. And proved that one person can really make a difference. I absolutely loved this book, and would recommend it to anyone ages ten and up who enjoys adventure.
Elizabeth Cantrell (05/06/07)

Irene Gutowana
This book was excellent, it really got you to think of what all happened in the Holocaust. If you think you cannot accomplish great things, read this book. Irene is proof that you CAN make a difference

Mrs. Hemingway