Reader reviews and comments on The Tiger Rising, plus links to write your own review.

The Tiger Rising

By Kate DiCamillo

The Tiger Rising

• Hardcover: Mar 2001,
    Paperback: Aug 2002,

There are currently 34 reader reviews for The Tiger Rising

kim (11/12/04)

I think that if someone reads this over and over they would have soooo much joy that they could dance in front of the biggest crowd ever!
Liza (11/12/04)

I think this book sould be read by everybody! it was so great I read it 3 times in 1 week.
Emily (11/01/04)

It is a great book! I love The Tiger Rising .! I recommened it to everyone!
rose (06/08/04)

I read it in One day
Palendrome (04/25/04)

This book also needed a good foundation and yet again it was very prdidable. In all of her stories someone is always missing.
BookBrowse (01/15/04)

BookBrowse.com - Davina
I can understand the viewpoint of the visiting reviewers who say this book 'sucks', because if your reading experience has been with action orientated books that build to a dynamic conclusion with all the plot threads neatly tied together, you're probably going to think that not much really happens in this book and really, what's the point? - boy finds tiger, tells someone, gets in touch with his feelings, book ends - just when it looks like things are going to start 'happening'. But to my mind, as an adult reader, something very real has happened - to go into this in detail would give the story away so, all I can suggest is that if you're not sure about this one borrow it from a friend or the library - then you've got nothing to lose and a lot to gain!

If you like this book, I suggest Saffy's Angel by Hilary McKay, Loser by Jerry Spinelli - both at BookBrowse, and Green Angel by Alice Hoffman.

As to whether it's credible to find a tiger in the middle of a wood, keep in mind the following summarized from an article published in The Week magazine in November 2003:

Americans own 7.3 million pet reptiles, including snakes and lizards, and 15,000 primates, mostly monkeys. There are now as many as 10,000 pet tigers in the U.S.—about twice the number of tigers left in the wild. At first. Tiger cubs are cute and playful, and their claws and teeth aren’t sharp enough to hurt a person. That changes quickly, though. Within three years, a tiger can reach 400 to 700 pounds and can kill with a single pounce. Pet tigers have fatally mauled at least nine people in the U.S. in the past five years. In addition to tigers, there are an estimated 5,000 to 10,000 other big cats in private hands.

Ninety percent of reptiles carry salmonella, causing 93,000 human infections each year. A similar percentage of the popular macaque monkeys carry herpes B and can transmit it through their saliva. Last summer, 72 people contracted monkey pox, a variant of smallpox, from pet prairie dogs, which caught the disease from a giant Gambian rat also headed for the pet market. By some estimates, only 10 percent of wild pets still live with their owners after two years. About 60 percent die within the first month of purchase.
Elle (01/01/04)

A beautiful story of pain and friendship.
qui (10/14/03)

by Marisha Pessl
  • Book Jacket: Complicit
    Complicit
    by Stephanie Kuehn
    When seventeen year-old Jamie Henry receives word that his older sister Cate, is being released from...

Tomlinson Hill
by Chris Tomlinson

Published Jul. 2014

1.  152The City:
    Dean Koontz

They say that in the end truth will triumph, but it's a lie.

O O T F P, Into T F