Reader reviews and comments on Founding Brothers, plus links to write your own review.

The Revolutionary Generation

By Joseph J. Ellis

• Hardcover: Oct 2000,
    Paperback: Feb 2002,

There are currently 182 reader reviews for Founding Brothers

caroline (06/26/07)

A Review of Founding Bothers
I have a Masters degree in Gifted Education. I took a history course this summer just to have a little more background knowledge of American history. One of the books that we were required to read and do a book review on was the Founding Brothers. I was frustrated beyond belief. While the book reveals a fascinating character analysis of the men who helped shape the foundation of our country, the complex sentence structure, redundancy, and almost purposeful hyperbolism that plagued this book made for excruciating reading. I can't believe this book was assigned to high school kids. Their reviews had me howling with laughter.
Wils (10/20/06)

Unbelivable!!!
This book is completely overrated! While reading this book for AP, I can't believe the good ratings it has achieved for such a BORING book. I can understnd that it is a good book, but for people in its league, don't make high school kids read it.!!!
serbs (09/01/06)

why read this book?
i am also reading this book for my AP history class this year and i am only on the second chapter and am unable to finish for the poor quality of this book. the words are far past my comprehension and i that the parts i do understand have no relevance to me answering and part of the 6 page essay i have been assigned to write this summer. If you get the chance to read this book on your own, please do not because you will find yourself aggrivated and even possibly find you have LOST some of your previous knowlegde simply from reading this terrible work of literature.
Katy (08/26/06)

Seriously? (Age 16)
Im in chapter 2 of this book, and I gotta ask, am I the only person who thinks that educational books, such as Founding Brothers, should at least be written with a little voice? No one to my knowledge actually talks like this, so why write like this? Use some adjectives Ellis! Add a little adventure. National Treasure was alright, why can't this be entertaining? I just believe that if you're writing a book that is destined to be required reading for students, give them something to make it bearable. The only thing helping me is an image I have in my head of Dumbledore talking to Harry Potter, because he is the only person (though fictional) that I can imagine speaking the words of Joseph J. Ellis. I'll let you know when I'm done.
Jeff (08/23/06)

An awful book
I am 15 and have to read this book for Honors US History. It is the most painful book I have ever read.

Ellis is extremely redundant throughout the entire book—and for a teenager who has relatively good concentration, I literally fell asleep reading the first chapter. That is the first time I had ever done that.

If this book is optional, by all means, DO NOT READ IT. If it is mandatory, well good luck to you. I certainly needed it.
Lizzzzard (08/22/06)

Class resumes tomorrow, I need answers to my Review Questions
Overall I did actually like the book. I don't think I fully satuarated all of the content of the book though, because I cannot come up with receptive answers to my review questions. If you are taking AP US History this book really is insightful, but I don't think it should have been required to read over the summer. All of the other information we had to read had to do with pre-colonial America to mercantlism and the navigation acts. And surprisingly, I cannot wait for class tomorrow, even though I have nothing to look forward to besides a year of... HISTORY. =]
Alex (08/20/06)

Founding Brothers
This book should be taken off the shelves! I found it more interesting to watch the puddle of drool form while I attemted to read this absolutley awful book. I used to be an A.P. student before this book FRIED my brain.
Nick (08/04/06)

Founding Brothers
Stupidest book in the world.

• Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove