Reader reviews and comments on Founding Brothers, plus links to write your own review.

The Revolutionary Generation

By Joseph J. Ellis

• Hardcover: Oct 2000,
    Paperback: Feb 2002,

There are currently 182 reader reviews for Founding Brothers

Gift (08/13/13)

Why
I had to read this book for school and I literally wanted to cry it took me forever because I fell asleep every time picked it up. HORRIBLE BOOK.
Tyler (01/27/13)

Awful
Over written,could be re-written in 40 pages, redundant and biased. I would not recommend to anyone.
... (09/09/12)

Horrendous book
I have read PLENTY of college level books that are sort of boring but I was still able to get through, but this that I'm reading for AP US cannot even be explained in words how terrible it is. The author basically just took every word and found the most complex, difficult synonym for it, to falsify his intelligence. And let me say, I'm by no means dumb and I could NOT understand this book one bit. It also took me 4 hours to get through 50 pages due to how boring it is.
Relle (10/19/11)

BoringBoringBoringBoringBoring
THE worst book I have read. Excessively repetitive, unnecessarily long, and freakishly difficult to understand. Why do smart people want to look smarter?! My high school brother has a textbook that has the same material...only his book is more interesting to read than this piece of junk!. Pure garbage
Rose (10/04/11)

Founding Brothers
This book is got to be the most awful book I have ever read. I would rather slit my wrists than read the rest of it and I am only on chapter two. Ellis rambles unnecessarily for several pages using bombastic language to finally get to his point in one paragraph. It would be a good book because of the content without the overly sophisticated vocabulary and the trying to "come off as intellectual" attitude.
notsmartenough (09/30/11)

I'm not 76
This book would be good if I knew big words.....but I don't. Also, I found it very repetitive and drawn out.
DougO (09/27/11)

Character Matters- Then and now!
Highly recommend Founding Brothers, this is a great read. An honest and mature presentation of the challenges our Founding Fathers faced creating America after the Revolution. You will get to know the founding fathers as individuals, each with unique strengths and weaknesses. They often made policy up as they went along; each understanding the importance of compromise if America was to be given the opportunity to stand on untested wobbly legs. The States were apprehensive about creating any centralized form of government with the authority to tell them what to do; after all hadn't they just fought and won the right to be free of England. Complex issues like slavery had to be dealt with carefully or not at all if the Union was to be preserved. The initial chapter covering the Burr- Hamilton duel could put you off as Ellis includes too much unnecessary detail. Once Ellis hits his stride with Washington, Jefferson, Adams and Madison you will find yourself sitting along side these great men as they struggle to transform the idea of an American democracy into a reality.
katiee (08/29/11)

Founding brothers
Worst book I've ever read in my entire life. The overly advanced vocabulary is simply unnecessary and makes what should be easily understood extremely hard to follow. I compare this book to a text book a student has in school.. Boring and dry.

Mrs. Hemingway