Reader reviews and comments on The Red Tent, plus links to write your own review.

The Red Tent

By Anita Diamant

The Red Tent

• Hardcover: Sep 1997,
    Paperback: Sep 1998,

There are currently 51 reader reviews for The Red Tent

Rose sonup (08/21/04)

I think The Red Tent was a beautifully woven tale, a remarkable tapestry of the fictional life of Dinah. At 50 years old, Istill flinch at the graphic descriptions of some personal behaviors and intimate relationships. Todays good fiction seems to need these types of graphic descriptions to sell the literature. I wish the author could have left out some of the sexual descriptions and used a different method of writing to get her point across. Authors must keep in mind the delicate minds of some of the young readers that are reading adult literature today. I believe the males in Biblical times treated women unfairly at times. Many times. God breathed love has an eternal perspective and I prefer to believe that the evolving spirituality of Jacob and Joseph was more loving toward their women. We don't know for sure. I still want to believe in the goodness of these men. I personally would feel it is sacrilege to defame these Biblical men. Women are healers for sure, but the balance between men and women must be equal - the author's pendulum swings too much in favor of the godliness of women. It is not the way to the perfect love I want to seek after.
c (08/18/04)

This book draws you into Dinah's life - into her world so vividly that you can almost smell the aroma of breads baking and feel the sand beneath your feet. I was totally captivated.
Jordanna (08/01/04)

It was amazing to read, and difficult. For I was young. I was 11 when I read this book and it captivated me through every page. How sad though, my mother asking me to read it. Other than my religion (jewish), I have no understanding of why I was to read it. But by the end of the book, it was clear. It had been needing a listener. It needed and deserved to be read. Because this book is so full of life, and death. It is amazing.
k plum (07/06/04)

This book sings. It's impossible to rave enough about it. Anita Diamant creates Dinah's world for us in a way that allows us to see through the dusty words of the Bible to the truth behind it. It is a balm for the soul of any woman of any age. I am incredibly moved by the connection between Dinah and her mothers, and I am also moved by the way Anita Diamant can create love inside relationships where love should have died. Thank you for this gift!
Becky (06/03/04)

I am a 15 year old student and I read a large amount and variety of books. These kinds of books to me go beyond personal preference in that the plot might not be the most interesting or the most relative to your life. However, I thought that this was an incredibly well written book that was even in a voice similar to that which the Bible is written in. Being a Christian myself, and knowing of Dinah, the point of view of this book is something incredible for one person to take on. I realize the bias that comes into play when writing this, as the personal views of situations and other things in the book are continually unknown. This is very metaphorical, and is an elaboration of the women in the book of Genesis. It was incredible to read and depict all of the messages, and I would recommend this to any advanced reader.
Ericka (05/28/04)

WOW.....words can't even describe how much this book was, it was so many great things mixed into 321 pages! I would recommend it to anyone. I'm only 16 and HAD to read it for English and I was so happy I did. The writing and details were attention grabbing, and the story line just kept me reading, I could put it down. This book made my laugh, cry, hate, so many emotions! I would recommend this to young women because it proves your not alone when you get your first period (even biblical women did) but also they have to be mature enough to handle some of the text and for middle-age women because you can relate to the child births, and to the oldest women because it makes you remember how great your life was. I give it two thumbs and an A+! ENJOY!
Megan (05/19/04)

I am only 15, and I thought this book was absolutely amazing. Truly astounding. I couldn't put it down. It is a story for all women to read, whether you are very religious or not. I don't go to church and I'd never even heard of Dinah before reading The Red Tent. It was beautifully written; there was such emotion and passion in the story that when Dinah was in pain, I was in pain. It was a story that really made me think, and after I finished, I didn't want it to be over. The story was moving and different and beautiful all at once. I went back and read parts of it again, and was taken in all over again by the excellence of the story. I'm definately going to buy the book because it was so good. My mom was the one who recommended that I read it, and I'm glad she did. If you are thinking about reading The Red Tent, you won't regret it!
xuan (05/14/04)

I think this book was great.
It's like I practically got to live through the Dinah's life.
Really enjoyable.