Reader reviews and comments on Ella Enchanted, plus links to write your own review.

Ella Enchanted

By Gail Carson Levine

Ella Enchanted

• Hardcover: May 1997,
    Paperback: Sep 1998,

There are currently 199 reader reviews for Ella Enchanted

Lindsey (12/09/03)

Ella Enchanted was definately the best book! Gail Carson Levine makes it totally original
Naika (11/25/03)

Ella Enchanted seriously is one of the best books I have ever read. It's not like the plot's really complicated or anything, it's the mere simplicity of the book that really stood out. The thing that stood out to me most is the way Gail really made her characters come alive in this book. It's almost as good as getting a new best friend.

It's rightly classified as Cinderella in a way, but it takes you into a depth of character you never could have assumed possible. Meaning that, okay, sure, in the movie, Cinderella's this little goody-two-shoes girl who likes to do whatever people tell her to, or maybe, like in the movie Ever After, Danielle doesn't really have a choice, her stepmother beats her if she doesn't do the work. Okay fine, I sympathize with all you Cinderellas out there! BUT, it really made my head spin when I sat down and read this book, and the first thing I read was about this stupid little fairy putting a "curse" on little Ella, that she has to be obedient no matter what.

Not only that, it takes us through every single joy and sorrow of Ella's life, and really made me want to laugh or cry with Ella. This book has inspired me in so many ways, thank you Gail for writing it!
~Naika
Lauren (11/08/03)

Hey Gail,

I loved your book!! I haven't read the second book, but I heard it was very good. I was hoping in Ella Enchanted though that there was more detail and not that dramatic. I'm thirteen years old, just in case your woundering. Well IG2g, but ttfn. Don't worry I will definetly check out, I think,______ wish!(Ella's wish)

P.S.
I'm on this website because I'm writing a review on Ella Enchanted for my class project.Again IG2g, but ttfn!!

Love,
Lauren,the 13 year old(:
Katie (11/07/03)

Hi, my name is Katie and I am 14. I am doing an author study on Gail Carson Levine and have already read a few of her books. By far, Ella Enchanted was my favorite. This book is about a young girl, Ella, who lives in a world where faries, elves, and ogres exist. When she is born, a foolish fairy bestows the "gift" of obedience to her. As she gets older, and begins to fall in love, Ella realizes that somehow she must break this curse. She goes on an adventure that will blow you away, and in the end realizes how strong true love is. I loved this book because Levine makes you feel like you are a character in the story, and her descriptions of Ella's "fairy world" help you to see it before your very eyes. There is humor, romance, and sadness in this book. Sometimes, some of the characters are so mean I want to be a part of the story just so I can yell at them! The only part about Ella Enchanted that I didn't like was that it resembled Cinderella a little too much, but perhaps Levine wanted it that way. I definitely suggest that you read Ella Enchanted, because it is the best book that I have ever experienced. If you have any information on Gail Carson Levine's email adress, I would appreciate it if you emailed me at goodnbubbly@yahoo.com. Thanks!
Amber D (11/07/03)

Amber - BookBrowse

Hi Katie,

Many people write to us asking us for author email addresses. Where possible, we provide a link to the author's website in the Author's forum, which may provide an email address. Click here for Gail Levine's webpage. I don't show an email address to contact Ms. Levine. Otherwise, the established, albeit slow, method for contacting authors is to send a letter c/o their publisher. For more on this and answers to other frequently asked questions, please visit BookBrowse's FAQ page.

Cheers!
susie (11/03/03)

it is an awsome book! i love it soo much
Louise Smith (10/31/03)

I thought Ela Enchanted was the BEST book I have EVER read!!!!!!!!!!!
when you read it it takes you into a world of your own where you are one of the characters.
I am 13 and it still enchantes me, just goes to show it doesn't matter how old you are, it is still an enjoyable book.
When i watch the movie in April i will look at Anne Hathoway in envy because I will wish i was her.
sophie (10/24/03)

my name is sophie and im 13 years old. I really love to read Ella Enchanted and its like Cinderella but its have alot of fairies,orges,giants and elve. I really like to the ending of the story its really awsome!!!!!!!
I'm going to read it again is really romance and magical.

• Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove