Reader reviews and comments on Flags of Our Fathers, plus links to write your own review.

By James Bradley, Ron Powers

• Hardcover: May 2000,
    Paperback: Oct 2001,

There are currently 30 reader reviews for Flags of Our Fathers

jacob chastain (12/09/10)

Flags Of Our Fathers
This is the best book I have ever read. I have read it three times now and it never gets old.
anonymous (11/24/10)

very good book
This is by far the best book I have ever read. I am speechless.
J-Kax (05/24/10)

Nonfiction Surprise!
I absolutely could not stand nonfiction novels. They killed me from the inside out.and now that I've read this book, I've changed that much at least. Very good book and a heart felt story line from the beginning.Purchase and Enjoy!!!
caleb davis (05/07/10)

flags of our fathers.
This is by far one of the best books I have read...if not the best. It will get you hooked by the details and such wording that only James can write.
Jack Payan (12/28/09)

Flags of Our Fathers
As the son of a WWI veteran (Purple Heart & Silver Star ) I thought the book was great. However, on page 333 of the paperback edition the author states " There was no doubt that the marines were in the bloodiest battle since Gettysburg." The USA suffered 6,800 killed and 26,000 casualties on Iwo. During the first four days of the Meause-Argonne battle in WW1 we suffered 45,000 casualties. There was a total of 26,277 killed there making it the bloodiest single battle in US history. At Gettysburg there were 3,155 Union troops KIA and 3,903 confederate troops killed for a total of 7,058 slightly more than those killed on Iwo.
KMcD (08/14/05)

Extraordinary Times
I received an e-mail from a friend about a scouting trip to Washington. James Bradley was standing in front of the flag raising memorial and told the scouts the story of the six men in the memorial. Just that short snippet compelled me to go out and buy the book that day. Every night I look forward to reading more about these ordinary men who displayed such extraordinary courage and valor while experiencing hell on earth in Iwo Jima. I will be sad when I am finished with the book and expect that I will have to read it several more times.
Donna (01/14/05)

This emotionally powerful and chock-full-of-information book is hard to put down. Even though I (a proud Military Brat) consider myself a WWII and VietNam history buff, I learned ever so much about the battle for Iwo. My gifted 5th year students are studying a unit on World War II, and I am reading the book to them a few minutes at a time twice a week - they LOVE it ! God Bless our men and women in uniform then, now, and in the future.

<< When you go home Tell them for us and say For your tomrrow We gave our today >>

Katie (10/25/04)

I'm in my third year of college, and have read many "boring" novels thus far. This book is not only emotionally captivating, but is written in a style which makes it easy to comprehend. If you don't know anything about the Japanese envolvement with WWII, this book would be an excellent and intriguing start for you!

• Book Jacket: Gemini
    Gemini
    by Carol Cassella
  • Book Jacket: The Goldfinch
    The Goldfinch
    by Donna Tartt
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction.

Her canvas is vast. To frame a story about art, love and ...
  • Book Jacket: Toms River
    Toms River
    by Dan Fagin
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for Nonfiction

In Toms River, investigative journalist Dan Fagin ...

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zevin

Published Apr. 2014

1.  170The Weight of Blood:
    Laura McHugh
  2.  143Happier at Home:
    Gretchen Rubin

Flaming enthusiasm, backed up by horse sense and persistence, is the quality that most frequently makes for ...

P Your O C