Reader reviews and comments on Soul of The Fire, plus links to write your own review.

Soul of The Fire

Paperback: Mar 2000,

There are currently 22 reader reviews for Soul of The Fire

Dustin (06/06/10)

Good but not great
I recently started reading The Sword of Truth series. The first four books were amazing. I couldn't put the books down and time flew by when i was reading them. Soul of the Fire lacked the greatness the first four books had. Soul of the Fire was good but not great! Terry Goodkind is an amazing writer, but this was not his best work. I enjoyed the characters he created in Soul of the Fire with Dalton and Fitch being my favorite. However, this book was very slow and didn't quite keep my attention like the others had. I would recommend reading this but only because its part of the series. I hope Faith of the Fallen is better. I look forward to the rest of the series!

6.5 out of 10
ArchAngel Darkfire (08/24/04)

Well, what can I sya other then I loved the book, even though it probably wasn't the best.
Though I kind of found the connection between Joseph Ander and the Chimes a little confusing (and I'm only 13)
And the fatal grace was also a little confusing!
All in all it was a great book yet a little confusing.

Brice Christopherson
First of all, I'd like to say I respect Terry Goodkind. His greatest strength, in my opinion, is he is very capable of breathing life into somewhat straight forward, archetypical characters. In the prior books, his characters had depth, but also were pretty easy to categorize. This is not to say they're boring characters, they're immensely entertaining, and easy to cheer for or to despise. But the real draw was the scope of their adventures, and the fullness of his world. The stories were fast paced, filled with action, powerful, inventive magic, and acts of desperation, all coming to satisfying conclusions. However, I must say this book falters in comparison to his previous works. Rather than an epic spanning the fate of the world, he focuses on a land threatened by the perennial villain, the Imperial Order, going for a much more cloak and dagger political feel to the story.

Wes
Well, Terry has done it again. A masterful piece of artwork that held me on the edge of my seat till the very end. Mr. Goodkind has a magnificent gift of characterization that surpasses even that of Robert Jordan. His ability to make the reader feel emotion is amazing. When Fitch saw Beata being raped, I felt his sorrow. When Kahlan was beaten, I trembled with fury! I was also impressed with how much progress was made with such a linear storyline. We started with the newly-married Lord Rahl and Mother Confessor, joined with the First Wizard and the Prelate of the Sisters of the Light, all bound and determined to defeat a vast empire of unimaginable strength. When we finished, our first wizard returned from having been a raven! Our Prelate had to be rescued by a Sister of the Dark!! Our Dear Mother Confessor got the crap beat out of her!! And our Mighty war wizard, Lord Rahl suffered an agonizing defeat and gives up on everyone and is going home!!! We saw the corruption and fall of a major power of the midlands, Jagang is now in the midlands with ALL of his army. Du Chailu, has returned to the scene. And last but not least, we saw an amazing conflict in an ethereal realm between Richard and a war wizard 3000 years dead. Not exactly a dull book! I was however somewhat disappointed when Terry killed Fitch. But now that I think about it, Fitch was necessary to portray Andereth life. I believe that Beata will return in the next book. As for Dalton Cambell....WOW!!! Terry has my full respect for this character. From the story of his rise to power, to the story of his defeat, I was captivated. Good Book Terry!

Michael
All right children, try not to look at the book as a 'book' but think of it as a transition piece, he is probably making a good decision here. Richard "The hero" was too heroic and was going to lose touch with everyone unless (if you forgive the unfortunate pun) he was "beaten down" to our level again. He is re-incarnated as the everymans super hero and that is great. P.S the baby COULD NOT have been born in that book, and would (for now) hinder the development of the other characters but be patient in Faith of the Fallen there is sure to be more plot than you can handle. Peace!

Harmage
Though this ok was not as good as the other four, it is still a work of art

Ritch Emmerson
Terry, Terry , Terry. Having got me hooked on the wonderful first three, (and fairly disappointing fourth) you hit me by having a rushed and unnatural fifth. It was obvious that the publishers set you a deadline that you hurried to keep. The magic and purity of the other books was nowhere to be found in this latest installment of the sword of truth series. And what an inconclusive ending! Please write another, but this time take your time to imbue it with the spark that the others had. And why did you have to kill the baby? I could have forseen great storylines with him learning to be a confessor with the gift, and perhaps Rachel being his warrior-protector, along Chase's lines. Oh well. It was still far ahead of the competition.

Jason Dicks
I'm one of those readers who starts a book and when I see another that interests me, I put the current book down to start a new one. The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind is an exception. This is the first time that I have actually finished what I started when it comes to reading novels. I guess you could say that this is a sincere compliment to Mr. Goodkind. I can't wait until the next novel

• Book Jacket: Shotgun Lovesongs
    by Carol Cassella
  • Book Jacket: The Goldfinch
    The Goldfinch
    by Donna Tartt
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction.

Her canvas is vast. To frame a story about art, love and ...

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zevin

Published Apr. 2014

The good writer, the great writer, has what I have called the three S's: The power to see, to sense, and to say

P Your O C