Reader reviews and comments on Big Trouble, plus links to write your own review.

Big Trouble

By Dave Barry

Big Trouble

There are currently 5 reader reviews for Big Trouble

Timmy O (02/04/05)

Harmless, silly fun. This book is non-stop and full of craziness. Good stuff.
your mother (12/16/02)

This book was ok but it would be better if someone could type up the summary and gove it to me
Justin (11/25/02)

Not only is this book funny, it's beleivable. The idea of arms smuggling, nuclear weapons, FBI agents, beer, snakes, toads, Russians, Gzrkjistanis, New Jerseyans, Ad Executives, Journalists, Housewives, Executives, Embezzlers, Low-Life Bums, High-Life Bums, Homeless Guys, Teenagers and goats all interacting is far-fetched and highly unlikely in truth, and yet the story is coherent enough and well-written enough that it is beleivable. Every character is clearly introduced, unlike in most novels, by the narrator, who is an omniscient third person. Each is allowed their own dramatic dialogue entrance before this intro, but all are fleshed out independently of the story. This definitely takes away a buttload of the confusion, and also adds to the identity and fullness of the book. Barry's voice is ever-present, as anyone who has read his columns will recognize, and he has quite a bit of social commentary on the side, on subjects as far-ranging as airport security and talk radio.
A few cons, though: the FBI, police and fighter jet jargon is a little bit too jargonny, as are discussions of guns and missiles. It's as if--and I say this with all due respect--Dave is trying to prove to us how much he knows about it. Also, as a teenager, I can say his views of what we do for entertainment are a little askew, although the drama they add to the story is well worth it, so I wouldn't have it any other way. Not to mention I probably couldn't have it any other way, considering there's just about no other literary way to get that dialogue and plot theme in.
In all, five stars, and as many thumbs up.
sophie (05/13/02)

This is such a funny book. People would lookat me funny when I laughed out loud though.
Mike (04/15/02)

I have long awaited the first novel by the hilarious weekly columnist for the Miami Herald. His columns are a weekly treat and his first book is a welcome addition to the South Florida fiction of Carl Hiassen, James Hall and Lawrence Shames. Try reading it on a plane flight, your fellow passengers will wonder what in the world you are laughing about.

• Book Jacket: The Goldfinch
    The Goldfinch
    by Donna Tartt
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction.

Her canvas is vast. To frame a story about art, love and ...
  • Book Jacket: Toms River
    Toms River
    by Dan Fagin
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for Nonfiction

In Toms River, investigative journalist Dan Fagin ...
  • Book Jacket: The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
    The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
    by Gabrielle Zevin
    I feel like Gabrielle Zevin wrote this wonderful book, about a lonely New England bookstore owner ...

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zevin

Published Apr. 2014

It was one of the worst speeches I ever heard ... when a simple apology was all that was required.

P Your O C