Reader reviews and comments on Fortune's Rocks, plus links to write your own review.

By Anita Shreve

• Hardcover: Dec 1999,
    Paperback: Jan 2001,

There are currently 16 reader reviews for Fortune's Rocks

Gilly (07/09/10)

Hauntingly good.
Any novel that sustains a reader's interest beyond average enjoyment is a success, but this novel gets deep into the soul. Shreve writes like Jane Austen, she has a gifted ability to see shades of truth, deceit, hope, despair and denial in all of her characters. She draws upon the reader's emotions and weaves you into the novel itself! I was enthralled and surprised at how this book gripped me. It became my best friend during the week in which I read it. This is the first novel I have read by Shreve and I look forward to reading many more. I truly envy her talent.
liezle (11/16/05)

Book for the Senses
At first, I was a little apprehensive in reading this book. I was a little grossed out by the concept of a 15 yr old having sex with a 40 yr old guy. As I read it, I began to envy Olympia and Heskell. The kind of love described in the book is almost exclusively found only in the pages of a great love story. As I never actually witnessed the kind of love that defies even morality in real life, I can only imagine the intensity and the passion that Olympia and Heskell felt. The ending was a complete fairytale ending but who cares really?!! This book is so gooooood!
Elanah Callagan (11/10/05)

Fortune's Rocks
Out of the many books Shreve has written, Fortune's Rocks is the best. The others are also fantastic, but the extent to which she draws out the emotions in FR's is incredible. I read this book straight through the night; I couldn't put it down. It's extraordinarely written, as though Shreve herself were once that young woman (Olympia). It portrays our human tendencies and emotions in a way that cuts straight to the heart with truth. The good, the bad, the ugly - Shreve tells it exactly like it is in this novel. It will be in my library forever.
Alison (09/21/04)

As a 18 year old female, I loved Fortune's Rocks, not simply because of Shreve's elegant way of telling a story, but because of the intensity with which you can share the character's emotions. She writes about Olympia's new sexuality and her adventures in them in such a way that it doesn't seem wrong. It's education to know what someone else is feeling at this time in life. This is truly a Lolita meets Hester Pryne type novel. Highly recommended!
Nan (08/22/04)

This book is very well written and keeps you reading to see what happens next. I loved the main characters and at times I disliked them and was angry but they are so real. A great thought provoking read.
Heather (08/09/04)

I just finished reading Fortune's Rocks. Wow! What a great story. I was so sad to have reached the end! I liked the ending, and didn't expect it. Although there were a lot of moments that I didn't expect in this book! A highly-recommended read. I had trouble putting it down and finished it within a week! Looking forward to her next novel.
maya (03/10/04)

This has become a beloved book for me. I loved the writing style and the characters. As other readers have put it , it is unforgettable. Some how the author has managed to touch my heart. I borrowed it from a local library and I don't feel like returning it back. I have read her other books and this is the most touching. I am happy at the way it ended though. I couldn't have borne it any other way.
The author has managed to bring out the feelings of all the characters very well. Everyone has their own strengths and frailties. I hope she writes many more books and am really looking forward to it.
Katherine (01/24/04)

Fortune's Rocks is truly the most amazing novel I have ever read, and I have read many. Her portrayal of the characters, era, and landscape is breathtaking and enthralling. I read the book straight through, ignoring other tasks. Fortune's Rocks kept me on the edge of my seat, in a perpetual state of suspense and excitement. At times, this was almost unbearable and I could not continue reading for a moment. After finishing the novel I felt a great sense of loss, of profound moments I had while reading that I will never experience again. I was very sad to read the final words, but this novel is absolutely worth reading. I am still caught in its grasp several hours after having completed it. Truly one of Anita Shreve's greatest novels. There is never a dull moment, with the excitement, tension, and suspense being so great as to leave one breathless.

Mrs. Hemingway